Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running 35s on stock gearing but I want to upgrade so when I get my 37s I'm not tearing out my tranny, any suggestions on gear ratios?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a 5.38 would be perfect. Any suggestions on brand?(sorry never messed with gearing before)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm currently running 35s on stock gearing but I want to upgrade so when I get my 37s I'm not tearing out my tranny, any suggestions on gear ratios?
What gear ratios you got now?
4.10?
How is it presently with the 35's if 4.10's performance and MPG wise?
Does it require more?

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What gear ratios you got now?
4.10?
How is it presently with the 35's if 4.10's performance and MPG wise?
Does it require more?
Sluggish and about 12mpg if I drive her easy. That's with the 3.73s. Plenty of torque in 4wd low though. Definitely need lower gearing especially when on the highway trying to do 70mph. Its always trying to drop into lower gears.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sluggish and about 12mpg if I drive her easy. That's with the 3.73s. Plenty of torque in 4wd low though. Definitely need lower gearing especially when on the highway trying to do 70mph. Its always trying to drop into lower gears.
Thanks. You also have the 3.8 vs the 3.6
I'm wondering if that makes a difference too

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. You also have the 3.8 vs the 3.6
I'm wondering if that makes a difference too
I know they make a 3.6 for the 2013 wranglers but mine has the 3.8 still needs more motor in my own opinion. I've been looking at supercharger kits to make up for that.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Looks like a 5.38 would be perfect. Any suggestions on brand?(sorry never messed with gearing before)
I like 5.38s with 35s in my Rubicon. Can you (still?) get 5.38s with your axles?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The D30 is where the 5.38s are harder to get. I know over the years they simply weren't available, then some popped up and went away, and now it seems they may back again. Post up if you end up getting some and how they work out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The D30 is where the 5.38s are harder to get. I know over the years they simply weren't available, then some popped up and went away, and now it seems they may back again. Post up if you end up getting some and how they work out.
Now if I get the gears for the rear axle will I need them for the front as well? By all means if it will help me out with daily driving and mountain trails I'm all in.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Now if I get the gears for the rear axle will I need them for the front as well? By all means if it will help me out with daily driving and mountain trails I'm all in.
Yeah, to use 4wd the ratio of the gears in the front and rear must match - there's no option here. If you only use 2wd then they don't have to match - but you'll never be able to shift into 4wd or you'll break something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, to use 4wd the ratio of the gears in the front and rear must match - there's no option here. If you only use 2wd then they don't have to match - but you'll never be able to shift into 4wd or you'll break something.
Well its a good thing somebody let me know. Did a little research on the 5.38s for the D30. Go to rustysoffroad.com and search product # D30538JK they cost $180+S&H made by motion gears.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts