Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 LJ w 3.73 gears and 4 speed auto. Thinking about going to 4.88 gearing... currently running 33" tires but want to go to 35".. too much gearing? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Not low enough for 35s but would be decent for 33s. You want at least 5.38s for 35s, which would require installation of a new front axle. I went with a high pinion Dana 44 when installing 5.38s.

·
Registered
591 Posts
There's several threads on this.

4.88 is the lowest you can go without new carriers. 4.88 is a major upgrade from 3.73 however I just had this done and I'm sure 5.13 would suit the 42rle a little better. Especially if you plan on 35"s, 5.13 would be the way to go.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Good info.... fwiw I'm in the same boat w 42rle 3.73 and 33's.... I currently run od off.... once I swap to 4.88's my rpm in od aill be about 50 rpm lower than it currently it in 3rd...... perfect
For 35's i'd want 5.38's

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
5.13 gear sets are available for Dana 30 through revolution gear and axle. Installed a set in the high pinion D30 in my XJ.

·
Registered
847 Posts
5.13 all the way. You will even be fine with the 33's and 5.13 since the trans has such a tall od, .69.

The 30 carrier will work, the 44 will need to be changed to a 3.92 and lower carrier.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am running 5.13's in my 2005 (with 42RLE) with 35's and still kick the OD off around town. I would not want anything higher (numerically lower) than 5.13's with the 42RLE. I wanted 5.38's and was talked out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
4:88's are just in the range for 35's, and if you ever decide in the future that they are too pricey and feel 33's will get the job done, then you are right in the sweet spot gear wise.

·
Registered
847 Posts
4:88's are just in the range for 35's, and if you ever decide in the future that they are too pricey and feel 33's will get the job done, then you are right in the sweet spot gear wise.
Not for the auto trans. Manual, sure, but the auto has a ridiculously tall overdrive at .69 vs .79 for the manual. Big difference.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Same boat here with an Auto '05 TJ and I was thinking 5.13 might be too low. I've gotten plenty of comments for both the 4.88 and 5.13. But the more I've been looking into it, and considering some of the pro's that are given for both ratio's, I've decided to go with the 5.13's.
Fortunately, or un-fortunately, I found a good deal on used 35's and already put them on but I'm not $ ready for the regear yet. So I won't be running the Jeep much until I get that done.

Reactions: Digger84

·
Registered
731 Posts
Talked with the person who will be installing my gears. He has lots of experience and comes with plenty of recommendations from others.

He's talking me out of the 5.13 ratio because the pinon is too weak in the gear set for the D30, and I have a locker in the D30.
Not going to change the axle.

I was on the fence regarding 4.88 or 5.13,but I wasn't considering the strength issue. He's telling me it will have 1 less tooth and thinner and will likely break with moderate use.

Anyone have any comment about that? Getting this done Wednesday.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I finished the axle swap into the 4.88 gears. Nice difference. I had to switch OD off on the highway to make sure I was in even in overdrive. It was able to maintain speed and accelerate even on a hill w overdrive on. Before she would bogg down and I had to floor it to change gears or shut OD off just to keep speed. It's more fun to drive and I don't have to think about my gearing like I did on the highway.

·
Registered
731 Posts
You're still on your 33's?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it was pretty much a free re-gear and way better than 3.73s so... I'll probably stick w the 33s for a while either way. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ok but I'm worried about a weak pinon to get to 5.13. and to be honest, might go back down to 33's in the future as we get older and Jeep gets harder to climb into :)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
The fear of a weak pinion is unfounded. Go as low as you can go. Especially with 35s and especially with the 42rle.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The fear of a weak pinion is unfounded. Go as low as you can go. Especially with 35s and especially with the 42rle.
Thanks

I think I'm about to start another thread on this topic. I've been searching and although I find lots of warnings against it, I have not found anyone who has actually snapped a 5.13 pinion on a d30.

Plenty who say they run it with 35's, 37's, locked, unlocked, and have snapped axles and other typical components, but the R&P's hold up fine.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts