Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Jeep off a guy who bought off a guy who put on the lift kit and tires. The guy I got it from knew about as little as anyone I've met (and I'm no mechanic so thats sayin something). So he couldn't really tell me much I couldn't see for myself. I was wondering if there was a way to tell if the gearing had been changed ? I'm running 33's and when I'm doing 60mph im at 2100rmp if that helps.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Most likely you're runnin the stock 3.73's (i think thats stock anyway)

Not sure if you can tell gearing besides crackin em open and checking...i'm sure some others on here will have more to say though, especially if someone else is running this similar setup

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ok, sorry I can't help you much I only know a little bit about gearing and thats only in the older ax-15 tranny and a 5speed

Does sound like you have the stock 3:73 gearings though

Maybe Jerry will come along and help ya out. Haha

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Mark the drive shaft and spin the wheel, count the rotations....

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
There's a little more to it than that, but that'll get you real close. Search will yield Jerry's post about it, and that will tell you everything you need to know. But I'm a shorthand kinda girl, and only retain so much.... :)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You can not tell exactly what speed you are going if the gearing has been changed and the speedo gear not. It may say you are going 60 when you are really going 50 or so. Check the drive shaft rotation as inferno says for starts. Jerry is out of town this week so you will not hear from him at this time but he does have a thread on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts