Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the gear ratio of the 5 speed transmission from a 91 4cy. i want to calculate where my rpm will run at certain speeds with 4:11 gears in my axles. i might happen apon a set of axles with the 4:11 gears and was curious how badly my mpg would suffer going with them as opposed to the stock axles i have now. thanx

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
You have 4.10 gears in your stock axles.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well sheesh now i feel like a dumb arse. lol i dont know what i have in mine now to be honest was going to compare rpms from the calculations of the 4:11 to what im driving at now at those rpms. i was figuring the original gearing would be somewheres in the range of 3:56 or so. goes to show how much i know lol thanx for the reply.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Not a problem, everyone has to start somewhere. I believe that Jeep used 4.10 gearing in all of the 4 cylinder combinations, but I am sure that you have them. What was your reason to want lower (so you thought;) ) gears? You putting larger tires on? Or are you just looking for more power? If you are looking for more power, you can start with a 4.0L throttle body. I know that Khenderson has a good writeup on here somewhere, you can search for his threads to find more information.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
didnt necessarily want lower gears just looking into a parts jeep and im told the axles on this jeep had 4:11 gears. i thought what i already had on my jeep would be lower then 4:10. so i just wanted to use a calculator to see where my rpms would be with the 4:11 gears and compare that to where i was running on my jeep. i just wanted to see if it would hurt or help the drivability and mpg on my jeep. i didnt know that i had the same gears in my axles. im rather new to my jeep and got some issues (bad frame and thus the reason for parts jeep) that need to be fixed. basically just trying to figure out what i want to keep and use or let go of if i do get this jeep. i just wanna make sure i keep my mpg and rpms under control. my jeep is more of a dd then a playtoy. more power is nice but not a necessity if it costs too much in mpg. i got my corvette as a playtoy and mpg dont mean sqat to me there lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts