Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 JKU auto running 35s, a procal and CAI. I'm looking at getting new tires so I thought u may as well jump up to 37's. I'm going to beef up the front Dana 30 and regear. I currently have the stock 3.21 which I am actually happy with performance wise. I'm thinking of jumping to 4.88 and have been looking around online for a set. Rock auto sells the fronts for $120 and rear for $140 and $65 each for the install kits. Anyone use these sets before? Seems really reasonable.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Is that the master install kits? I don't think it could be at that price. As for the gears themselves, that's not unheard of, price-wise. What brand?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I went with northridge and couldnt be happier. I got everything i needed minus the gear oil for 7 something. Yukon gears, front carrier, and motive install kits. I went 4.56 for 35's, 4.88's will be perfect for 37's.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's dorman brand. Not sure on the install kit, it just says standard install kit. I know a master kit comes with new bearings, are those really needed on a vehicle with 40,000 miles? I know I will need a new carrier which sucks. Rock auto lists the new carrier for $75. Will the gears from my carrier fit in the new carrier or should I get a loaded carrier?

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Why not put new bearings in while you're in there? Will you be able to swap the gears without messing up your bearings (especially moving the pinion bearings over to the new pinion)??

Answer those questions and you'll know whether or not to get a master install kits with new bearings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never changed gears so I doubt this will be something I do myself. As far as the bearings go I guess I didn't realize they were attached to the carrier. I guess the master kit is going to be the best way to go. This is why I ask.....

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Yeah it's really easy to mess up the cage and the races on the bearings trying to get them off. Besides, you're in there anyway right.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Something to consider, If you take it to a shop to have the work done, often they wont install gears that they did not source.

Gears are only made in a few factories. I wouldnt worry about the quality, as there arent really any gear factories out there that suck. They are likely korean.

I bought a set of USA Standard off of amazon for my 14 bolt and for $150 they are fine.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
I have never changed gears so I doubt this will be something I do myself. As far as the bearings go I guess I didn't realize they were attached to the carrier. I guess the master kit is going to be the best way to go. This is why I ask.....
Then do NOT buy anything. If you find a shop to install your gears and there's a problem they tell you the problem was with your gears not their installation. Their gears, their install their problem! Get my point?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts