Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock automatic 2012 JKU Sport. I’ve got my lift. I’m ready to move forward. I was planning on running 35s with this first step. But I’m advancing everything and I’m going to order up an Ultimate Dana 44 because it’ll come geared and locked. However, if my end goal is to be on 37s, is there a ratio that will work for both 35s and 37s? I know I should just set up for 37s, but I’m going to be out of money and I’m sure there’s more I’ll need to do to get on 37s. Also, a little more (I’ve gotten plenty from all of the Jeep groups) insight into what all I need for 37s would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
I have 4.88 gears with 37" tires. I sometimes wish I had 5.13 gears, and in hindsight I might have saved a chunk of change if I had gone with 5.13 gears (because I may not have decided to go with a new transfer case if the gearing was better).
4.88 gears can work with 37's, but how well will depend on what you use the Jeep for. We like off roading, and when trying to go real slow the 4.88 gears struggle. Also, on the highway the 4.88 gears struggle as it needs to down shift more than it should. We do have a manual, and with an auto those issues may be less of an issue.
If you really want 37's, I think you are better off building for 37's. Otherwise, I would suggest 35's. They are a fair bit cheaper in the long run.
What front axle are you going to run? I would not want to run 37's on a D30 unless you were just going to drive it to the mall.

Doh! My bad. I missed the part about the UD44.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Actually @GuzziMotto, the udergear is even worse with an auto. I run 5.13 with 37s (3.6, auto, Rubicon) and that is perfect gearing. I also get the benefit of the 4:1 for offroad. (PS he already mentioned an aftermarket front axle. I would also never consider 37s on a D30.)

To the OP - buy once, cry once. Build your Jeep for what it needs to DO. Do you need the clearance of 37s for hard core "body damage likely, mechanical breakage highly possible" rock crawling? Or do you offroad more moderate end type trails?

Build for 35s or build for 37s based on what you need it to DO. Choose tire size for what you need it to DO. Gear appropriately (4.88 for 35s, 5.13 for 37s).
@Adam Rosetta, if budget is tight, be careful. Always have a slush fund when building or running a big built Jeep. Crap happens. Adjustments need to be made. Parts affect other parts. Things wear a lot faster. It's a rabbit hole that you should have contingency funds for.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
And I see you are new here - welcome aboard!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@mommymallcrawler It will generally be used for easy to moderate (right now anyways) trails. And, hopefully as more of a base camp, over landing rig. 35’s would definitely work. I just know that I get bored (and jealous) and don’t want to be too limited. However, when I get out of my head and actually start “talking” about it, I realize that most of the time it will actually be used for traveling. Highways and backroads. So, talk me down. Tell me to be smart and build on 35s. I’m still gonna put the 44 under it so as to not be too limited...

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Welcome from Arizona.

Sounds like you don’t really need 37s, but if you got cash to burn go for it (and it’s a big cash upgrade between 35s and 37s). But, as many have stated, it’s going to be far less expensive to do it once. 4.88 for 35s and 5.13 for 37s.

·
Retired Moderator
100,578 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts