Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of G2 gears all the master instal kits with a new front carrier. I am having the new 4:56s put in on Tuesday by. Very reputable shop. The guy on the phone keeps going on about spider gears for the front. I have been told many times I do not need new ones. Any input on this would be great.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
the spiders and cross shaft from your 3.21 carrier should work just fine with your 3.73 and up carrier.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have a set of G2 gears all the master instal kits with a new front carrier. I am having the new 4:56s put in on Tuesday by. Very reputable shop. The guy on the phone keeps going on about spider gears for the front. I have been told many times I do not need new ones. Any input on this would be great.
WHY does the mechanic say you need new spider gears? We can't see how worn or chipped (IF) the old ones are. Mixing new and old can sometimes create slack in the drivetrain.
Go to the shop and have the man show you why he thinks you need new spider gears and have him explain it to you until you understand what the issue is.

It is your Jeep after all and you need to learn this stuff if you are going to throw money at it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
When I had my gears changed, I opted for a loaded carrier as everything else was going to be new. Cost me an extra $80 and worth the thought of something going wrong.

Your vehicle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is my 2 cents. Once upon a time I worked on cars for a living. And sometimes a technician does things to cover his ass. For instance let's say he reuses the spider gears as your request. Then 2 months later you have an issue and come to find out it has something to do with the used parts. The tech will tell you about how the gears caused the problem and you have to pay for it. The consumer usually flips out at that moment and says all mechanics are thieves. Then usually to save face the mechanic repairs it for free and eats the cost. So in short if he is not charging any additional labor even though your current spider gears may be fine. He is saying look this is my way of taking full responsibility for the work I do. If something fails it's on me 100%. Also some part manufacturers may require them to be replaced to honor any warranty issue

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My entire contact with this gentleman has been one 3 min phone call. He has not seen the jeep. It's 2012 with very low miles and less off roading. My girlfriend bought it in 2013. He has already stated he work is labor only and will not warranty any parts. I am ok with it. Everything is new except the spider gears and I would have purchased those as well of I had been advised of that when I made the initial purchase. Since it is a important component I really wanted to do it right. We have 2 shops in town both are quality shops. One priced $1293 for labor to do both. The other same price per axel. I think that almost 4 grand is excessive.

·
Registered
907 Posts
$1300. Is a decent price to do both axles. If the jeep hasn't been abused on or off road the old spider gears
Should be fine. It's just a little more labor for the shop to swap into new carrier. Maybe they would rather not
Mess with it. Is that how the guy is sounding ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dropped it off they looked at what I had and said they were good to go. I got called after everything was torn out. Said I needed spider gears because 2012 newer would not fit and had to be replaced. Bill is about $2000 now. Last stop at that shop. Really nice as they raise your bill. But nice isn't helping my budget.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Dropped it off they looked at what I had and said they were good to go. I got called after everything was torn out. Said I needed spider gears because 2012 newer would not fit and had to be replaced. Bill is about $2000 now. Last stop at that shop. Really nice as they raise your bill. But nice isn't helping my budget.
Guess I'm not following , if you have a new carrier for a 2012 and the jeep is a 12 why wouldn't the
Internals fit ? That makes no sense. I would of had them stop right there and bought a carrier put
Together for $80.00 more bucks . Something doesn't sound right IMO.......

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree not to happy with them so far. But I will have them educate me on all this when it's done. I am really missing something here.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I agree not to happy with them so far. But I will have them educate me on all this when it's done. I am really missing something here.
Well when it's done make sure you ask them what they set the Back lash on ring and pinion at.
And get old carrier's and parts.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the jeep back. Wow what a difference going to 4:56 gears. I sat with the man that actually done the instal and walked through everything and it all made very good sense and he showed me 3 or 4 sets in progress and cod see exactly what he was talking about. So I felt better about the additional items he wanted. But I still think the $1,700 tag was a little steep. I am over all happy with the work. They want me to baby it for 500 miles and bring it back for another $200 fluid change and check everything out. Grand total $1900 when it's said and done. Not cool in my book.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think it's all about where you are located. I swapped 4.56 gears from my 3.21 gears and payed approx $900 with the free break-in fluid change. Sometimes being a member of a local jeep club sponsored by a reputable offroad shop helps with those pesky prices

1 - 15 of 15 Posts