Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Anyone else have a axle seal go out and and hold gears in?
Axle seal won't have anything to do with "holding gears in". The gears are normally tight due to needed pre-load. Some suggest taking a rag and stuffing it in to force them out. I usually just tie a rope around the carrier and use a pipe as a cheater to pull them out...lets me maintain a little more control so I don't drop it all on the ground.

Oh yeah, you DID take the bearing caps off, right?:D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Axle seal won't have anything to do with "holding gears in". The gears are normally tight due to needed pre-load. Some suggest taking a rag and stuffing it in to force them out. I usually just tie a rope around the carrier and use a pipe as a cheater to pull them out...lets me maintain a little more control so I don't drop it all on the ground. Oh yeah, you DID take the bearing caps off, right?:D
Yea took caps off got one side all the way out other is caught inside like something is holding it

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Axle shafts pulled I'm assuming.... Rotate the pinion yoke and pull.

If the carrier is cockeyed, tsp it back in place square and start over.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing will come out I can pry one side out but the other side will come half way out then stop

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I don't really wanna take it all back apart again until I know what to do
If you removed your bearing caps and pulled your axle shafts out, there's nothing that should keep it from coming out.

Try to pull the side that is stuck first. It could be a PITA to get out if it gets cockeyed, but it's easy to just push it back in place with a deadblow hammer.

Let's just say for arguments sake that the seal did come part way out and against the bearing cap (assuming you are working on a D30). You will still have to just force it out to resolve the issue. It won't get behind the cup. The only thing I can see holding your carrier in is the preload and the pinion gear. Like I said earlier, force is the only thing to overcome the pre-load. Also, when it gets tight, try turning the pinion yoke and see if that helps.

Sometimes you just have to man up and get mean with parts :thumb:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you removed your bearing caps and pulled your axle shafts out, there's nothing that should keep it from coming out. Try to pull the side that is stuck first. It could be a PITA to get out if it gets cockeyed, but it's easy to just push it back in place with a deadblow hammer. Let's just say for arguments sake that the seal did come part way out and against the bearing cap (assuming you are working on a D30). You will still have to just force it out to resolve the issue. It won't get behind the cup. The only thing I can see holding your carrier in is the preload and the pinion gear. Like I said earlier, force is the only thing to overcome the pre-load. Also, when it gets tight, try turning the pinion yoke and see if that helps. Sometimes you just have to man up and get mean with parts :thumb:
Ice gotten pretty mean with em but not tryed tying something to em and pulling nor using something to push them out

·
Registered
18 Posts
Coop, I remember when I rebuilt my lsd on the dana 44, I think it was trac loc. Some of the clutch packs had shattered and left large pieces of debris inside the diff. Did you find and indication of "chunks" in your diff fluid? I also had the problem where the carrier hit the rear gas skid, had to jack the body up to clear. Other then that, if your still working this problem, how about getting those pictures of the diff so we can all see!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Coop, I remember when I rebuilt my lsd on the dana 44, I think it was trac loc. Some of the clutch packs had shattered and left large pieces of debris inside the diff. Did you find and indication of "chunks" in your diff fluid? I also had the problem where the carrier hit the rear gas skid, had to jack the body up to clear. Other then that, if your still working this problem, how about getting those pictures of the diff so we can all see!
Not a piece of metal shaving one it's still driveable just leaks thru one side of axle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts