Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm wanting to re gear my axle. i have a 93 yj with the 2.5l and people say they come stock with 4:10 gears? is that right? i'm looking at 4:88 gears right now. the set says gear,ring/pinion 4:88 ratio. is that what i need to swap them out? if you guys could give me some ideas that would be great. thanks:thumb:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, that's what you need, plus an install kit which will have new bearings and seals in it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Your axles are geared 4.10.

What gearing you go with depends on what tire size you have. You can run 33's on the 4.10's, or go with 4.56. If you want to run 35's get 4.56 or 4.88.

If you are going any bigger than 33's or plan on running a locker, you need to get a super 35 kit for the rear, or a ford 8.8, or a Dana 44.

Just keep searching the forums, you'll find all the answers you need.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I plan on running 33's as of right now but wanna go to 35's in the future. That's why I was asking about the 4.88 gears. So I will be alright running 33's with the stock 4.10 gears?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Go with 4.88's if you're gonna run 33's. I haven't regretted it for a moment since I upgraded mine.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
yes but if your gonna run 35's your gonna have to do alot more then change gearing.. You'll have to start with adressing the issue of your TurD35 rear axle.. It will need to be beefed up or you will need to do a rear axle swap

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
what ever shop you go through to have them put in.. Yukon and Superior axle and gear is the best IMO so find a shop that orders from those places

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Then as I said before.. Superior Axle and Gear or Yukon.. And I wish you the best of luck.. I take it you are a experienced mechanic or know one personally that will guide you along and have or will get the right specialty tools for the job?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I've run Yukon in the past, but after running Motive Gear I've become a huge fan of their price and quality. Blows Yukon out of the water and they're at a better price point.

·
Registered
201 Posts
bmckinney_93wrangler said:
Yeah. My dad is a mechanic and my uncle has about 3 jeeps. I was looking at s set of 4.88 for about $200.
$200 is pretty cheap for a set. I paid about $500 for front and rear with install kits.

I'm running G2 gears.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts