Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so after having my jeep done for just about 2 weeks i have come to the realization that the 4banger can not push the 33's on the highway. so i was thinking 4.56 or 4.88s but i have to drive almost 4 hours to school so i wanted something that would go well on the highway because i come home frequently because of family health issues. and while i only wheel on the weekends and it is my DD i was wondering how hellish a locker in the front would be (probably wont be selectable or ARB due to pricing).

but other then the highway i love the jeep around town.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I would not go more than 4.56 gears for two reasons. One, anything lower would be ridiculous on the highway, and two, you would have to get a larger carrier for anything lower. Also, if you are putting in a lunch box locker, I would recommend doing it to the rear, as it will make your steering much harder, and decrease your turning radius, if you put it on your front axle. I know that the rear axle is the weaker one, but it shouldn't be a problem with 33" tires. When you climb something, most of your weight goes towards the rear axle anyway, so I would think this would be the best place to have one locker.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I agree that the 4.56's will be the best for your driving patterns, but Blu I gotta disagree with you on the locker. In regular 2wd you should not notice a lock right in the front much at all. Turning and such is not affected in 2wd.

And also the rear locker is great, but the front really does pull you up and over things more than you think.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
That is ok, my friend. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is based on having selectable lockers, on both my toys, and trying different things. The most effective locker, is in the rear. That is based on much trial, and error. Of course it is not errror to just spin your wheels. When the nose is up, the traction is in the rear. But if one is just wanting to spin their wheels, and not go anywhere, just put your one locker in the front axle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts