Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to regear my yj with 33s it's all stock can some help me with right gears an what's to do?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Looking to regear my yj with 33s it's all stock can some help me with right gears an what's to do?
Mark, in order to properly give some advise we need as much info on your jeep as possible, so that way one of us on here can give you the best road tested combo.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Go all the way to 4:88s

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
A 4cyl comes stock with 4.10 gears. Most that upgrade their gears when it comes to 33" tires use a 4.88 ratio.

That will get you as close to stock performance as possible.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not deep enough. With 31's maybe, but 33"+ 4:88 is the way to go. BTW install a truss for that D35 to keep the axle tubes from moving around. They bend and that is the beginning of the end for it. My first D35 was not trussed and after a couple of years of moderate wheeling the tubes started to weep gear oil. Next thing I knew the carrier bearings started to whine. Took it apart and found the drive gears in the locker almost eaten up and the carrier bearing races were worn as if the axle was at an angle(which it was). Anywho, rebuilt housing, tacked the tubes to the straightened tubes and installed a truss. Ran great for several years of moderate to hard wheeling until I caved in and upgraded the rear to a 8.25. Just my .02.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts