Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What gears do you all think I should have in my jeep? I't an 03 rubicon with 35 inch tires. And do I need to replace both front and back or what?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Well if its a manual, then 4.88s will be fine, if it's an auto, it's kindof a toss up between 4.88s and 5.13's depending on if you have the O.D. button (over Drive button)

Yes, both front & back need replaced and labor is typically any where from $750-$1000 to have both front & rear done. The gears & master install kits are relatively cheap, compared to the install labor.

·
that's what she said
16,481 Posts
i think that 4.88 are overkill, especially if you are using it as a daily driver. the rubicons came equipped with dana 44's and 4.10. if you are dead set on regearing, 4.56 would be the highest i'd go. my cj7 is a trail rig only, it has dana 44's with 4.10's front and rear with 34" tires. here is a good chart to go by, depending on what you want to accomplish.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yea, but with the 4.88's it covers using 35's and/or 36's for tires.
Plus if you look around most Rubicon owners are using 4.88s. I don't believe that 4.56 is an option for the Rubicon differentials.

·
that's what she said
16,481 Posts
My ole man runs 35's and he runs all over the place with stock gearing. The 4 to 1 transfer case makes up the difference and he hasn't complained yet.
i agree. i decided to go with terra low 4:1 kit for my dana 300 rather than regearing. i am very happy with the results.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Ahhh ole school Dana 300 hehe....they were a good unit though

I think alot of people way overgear....we have a few around here that do it as well, and when it comes time to get up something and you need some wheel speed....they no havey hehe I mean seriously, a 5.13 for a 35" tire? I run a 5.13 on a 42" tire with a 2 to 1 transfer case.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
If I threw 5.13's in my Rubi it would cover a board range of tire sizes and would only have to regear once and could run 35's-37's with no issues. There's been too many times where I've seen people regear and then move to a even bigger tire and then regear again.

Yea the stock gears can handle the 35's for the rubi, but I would atleast recommend Alloy shafts. I dont think the 4:1 Tcase has anything to do with the daily driving or street driving. The benefit of that is when finally offroad & crawling.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Exactly, that's the reason its there so you don't have to go with stupid low gears and loose mileage and reliability. With a 5.13, a 4 to 1 case, and 37's you couldn't create enough wheel speed to go through the smallest of mudholes. The only thing it would be good for is slow on rocks....hell I run a 5.13 on a 44" tire on the street and sometimes that is too low.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Well I wheel with a group of Rubis at the Badlands offroad park alot, and most are on 4.88s or 5.13s and running 35's to 37's and running the trails and rock crawls just fine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ibuildembig said:
I still bet that my ole man's would follow you around just fine with the stock 4.10's.
I'm asking cuz it seems that I have to down shift a lot in my rig with the lift and bigger tires. But in my fiance's dad's I don. As much and his is stock with a smaller engine

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Well there are several factors that you need to think about. A stock 4.0 5 speed on baby stock tires will run pretty good. The weight alone you have added will slow you down some. His jeep mighta had a different set of gears put in it at one time too..who knows.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts