Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where i could find a resource to determine what gears I have 2004 jeep wrangler X columbia edition.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Does anyone know where i could find a resource to determine what gears I have 2004 jeep wrangler X columbia edition.
Dealer should be able to give you a printout with your vin number. Might also be marked on the ends of the axles with tape or the old tried and true method, pull the cover, count and do the math :D

·
Knows a couple things...
49,064 Posts
You'll find the ratio embossed into a steel tag bolted between two of the differential cover bolts at the 9 o'clock position.

If your rear axle is a Dana 44 as identified by its stop-sign (non-oval) shape and that it has a threaded steel bolt plugging its lube fill hole, it has a 3.73. All non-Rubicon Dana 44 axles on the TJ come with 3.73.

If it's a Dana 35c as evidenced by its oval shaped differential cover and plastic snap-in lube fill cover, it either has 3.07 or 3.73 gearing. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone, that will be my weekend project to find out. Reason being is im looking to go up in size wih tires.

should I be looking at upgrading to d44's if i dont have them?

if not what the best gears for D30/D35 with 33" or 35" tires

1 - 5 of 5 Posts