Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's looking for some reviews or ideas on what lower control arm skids to go with, are they all pretty much equal? Is 3/16" steel the average? What about bolt on vs weld on? Thanks it's for my 15 JK rubicon.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience to avoid the EVO rockstars. They were awful to get on. I had to grind the hell out of everything else just to get them on. Once they were on, I discovered the passenger side shock tab wouldn't line up with my shock. So I ended up having to weld a new tab for my shock. Everything else lined up just fine, so idk what the problem was with that mount.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I am using the Skid Row JP-5008 bolt-on front LCA skids. They are robust, offer good coverage and have taken a beating. I would recommend them. Other front LCA skids don't offer the coverage of the Skid Row units.

For the rear LCAs, I am using the Evo EVO-RCS weld-on skids. They required some minor tweaking to get them to fit nicely. They are also very strong and have held up well to a lot of punishment. The only downside is that they fill up with mud & stones, and are a PITA to get cleaned out.

If I were going to do rear LCA skids again, I think I would get the TeraFlex weld-on ones (4937400) since they seem to be a lot easier to install.

There are a few companies that make rear bolt-on LCA skids - Spohn and Rugged Ridge come to mind. They don't go all the way under the rear shock mount, which needs protection IMO. I had a set of RR bolt-on rears, but they did not fit well so I returned them in favor of the weld-on skids.

FRONTS:

REARS:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have the EVO weld on ones too. I drilled a big drain hole in them before they went on & they still fill with crap. LOL I do clean them out & touch them up with rust converter all the time & they've held up pretty good for the last 3.5 years. & they sure do take a beating.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have gotten good at cleaning them out. I have a telescoping extension for my hose, so I can flush them out fairly well. I then use my electric leaf blower to dry them so the water doesn't just sit there.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have the bolt on Rugged Ridge and they have survived the Rubicon trail, one trip to Colorado and 4 trips to Moab as well as lots of local off roading on the toughest trails in Montana. you can get all 4 on amazon for cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts