Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several questions, please:

1) looking to buy a 2-door JL in the next year. The Jeep website has a limited search capability (150 miles from the input zip code). How do you find a jeep with the specs you want without repeatedly changing zip codes?

2) If you find something at a distant dealer, can/will local dealers transport it to you and honor the distant dealer price?

3) On soft top window storage, it looks like jk windows rolled up and could be stowed in a tube-sac. Will the JL windows do the same, and is that advisable)?

4) I see lock boxes online that appear to mount behind the 2-door aft seats. Are these “secure” enough to leave valuable in around town?

Thanks for any insight you have...

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts
Several questions, please:

1) looking to buy a 2-door JL in the next year. The Jeep website has a limited search capability (150 miles from the input zip code). How do you find a jeep with the specs you want without repeatedly changing zip codes?

2) If you find something at a distant dealer, can/will local dealers transport it to you and honor the distant dealer price?

3) On soft top window storage, it looks like jk windows rolled up and could be stowed in a tube-sac. Will the JL windows do the same, and is that advisable)?

4) I see lock boxes online that appear to mount behind the 2-door aft seats. Are these “secure” enough to leave valuable in around town?

Thanks for any insight you have...
Welcome to WF!

I just went through (1) and (2) myself.

Here’s what I found out...

1) Online searches

Using Jeep.com’s search function:
  • Pick a zip code 150 miles away from your location. So that when you do a 150-mile search, you cover an area up to 300 miles away from you. For instance, I live on the NW corner of WA, zip code 98229. By searching a zip code in the middle of Washington State, like Wenatchee, 98801, I was able to cover the entire state.

Using Cargurus.com:
  • Gives you greater geographical coverage, but the ability to search specific features is poor. Trim level, tansmission and engine type work well, everything else, like leather seats, navigation, doesn’t. The same is true of autotrader.com and cars.com.

2) Depends on the dealer. Some will, some won’t. Some will arrange transport themselves, others will connect you with a transport company. Keep in mind most dealers will add the cost of shipping to the advertised price. My advise is: when you contact a far away dealer ask upfront if they ship; if they don’t, move on. Also, pick a dealer with experience selling to out-of-state buyers; if they don’t set it up it correctly, they can seriously complicate your ability to register the vehicle in your home state.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. I’d changed the zip code around to different parts of the state, looking for dealers in-state so we could roll the tax into our loan. Hadn’t heard of Cargurus. Thanks.

On the dealer transport and price, never hurts to ask, huh?

What I’m hoping to avoid is having to go to a local dealing, spec out what I want, and pay full price to get it. Our local dealers historically don’t carry the color and add-on’s I’d like, but others in the state have them on their website. Heck if I can find one at the right price, I’d drive out and purchase it on location.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to WF!

I just went through (1) and (2) myself.

Here’s what I found out...

1) Online searches

Using Jeep.com’s search function:
  • Pick a zip code 150 miles away from your location. So that when you do a 150-mile search, you cover an area up to 300 miles away from you. For instance, I live on the NW corner of WA, zip code 98229. By searching a zip code in the middle of Washington State, like Wenatchee, 98801, I was able to cover the entire state.

Using Cargurus.com:
  • Gives you greater geographical coverage, but the ability to search specific features is poor. Trim level, tansmission and engine type work well, everything else, like leather seats, navigation, doesn’t. The same is true of autotrader.com and cars.com.

2) Depends on the dealer. Some will, some won’t. Some will arrange transport themselves, others will connect you with a transport company. Keep in mind most dealers will add the cost of shipping to the advertised price. My advise is: when you contact a far away dealer ask upfront if they ship; if they don’t, move on. Also, pick a dealer with experience selling to out-of-state buyers; if they don’t set it up it correctly, they can seriously complicate your ability to register the vehicle in your home state.

Good luck!
Thanks for the insight. I’d changed the zip code around to different parts of the state, looking for dealers in-state so we could roll the tax into our loan. Hadn’t heard of Cargurus. Thanks.

On the dealer transport and price, never hurts to ask, huh?

What I’m hoping to avoid is having to go to a local dealing, spec out what I want, and pay full price to get it. Our local dealers historically don’t carry the color and add-on’s I’d like, but others in the state have them on their website. Heck if I can find one at the right price, I’d drive out and purchase it on location.

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts
You can also use a car buying service, like Costco or your credit union’s — usually tied to True Car: they don’t offer the absolute lowest price, but normally will quote you 5% off MSRP without even trying.

I used True Car, through my credit union, to buy my 2018 Fiat Spider: I used a dealer closer to me and got them to sell me a car another dealer farther away that had, with the exact equipment and color I wanted, and honor the low price the far away dealer had it listed for.

In this scenario, if you find a Jeep with the equipment and color, at a price you want, say 700 miles away, you can approach your local dealer and propose: would you factory order me a Jeep equipped like this one over there, in this color, and honor that price? Most dealers should say yes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
3) I don’t think there’s any way you could roll the JL windows without damaging them. The horizontal track at the top of the window flexes but won’t fold. The vertical corner is a solid piece of plastic so that can’t be rolled in that direction either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts