Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
he was just asking a question.
A question that could lead to a purchase that could could contribute to an accident.

It boggles my mind that the moderators even tolerate posts about illegal activity/modifications. I would figure that liability concerns would be on their minds.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A question that could lead to a purchase that could could contribute to an accident. It boggles my mind that the moderators even tolerate posts about illegal activity/modifications. I would figure that liability concerns would be on their minds.
I was under the impression they could run sans other colors on, with a switch, or as a regular headlight? Maybe I'm incorrect?

·
Registered
685 Posts
A question that could lead to a purchase that could could contribute to an accident.

It boggles my mind that the moderators even tolerate posts about illegal activity/modifications. I would figure that liability concerns would be on their minds.
i agree but some people may be offroad only then its fine i never said he was installing then i still like the idea of being able to about anything

·
Registered
356 Posts
Little much don't you think!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you look forward at 2:36, they have their headlight pattern.

This is probably the worst headlight low-beam pattern I've ever seen. Yes, it won't blind oncoming traffic, but you won't be able to see anything.

Here is the same beam in a truck lite LED:

If you really want light toys, like halos and "demon eyes", but you still want to be able to see, then check out hidprojector.com's lights.

Aftermarket headlights can be kind of a pain in the butt. You have to add extra switches to keep the off-road only stuff off when you are on the road, you have to be careful that you don't take your vehicle to states that require DOT stamping on the headlight housings, and you have to find some pretty weird bulbs to keep the lights running. There is a lot of garbage in this market and finding the quality stuff can be a pain.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you look forward at 2:36, they have their headlight pattern. This is probably the worst headlight low-beam pattern I've ever seen. Yes, it won't blind oncoming traffic, but you won't be able to see anything. Here is the same beam in a truck lite LED: If you really want light toys, like halos and "demon eyes", but you still want to be able to see, then check out hidprojector.com's lights. Aftermarket headlights can be kind of a pain in the butt. You have to add extra switches to keep the off-road only stuff off when you are on the road, you have to be careful that you don't take your vehicle to states that require DOT stamping on the headlight housings, and you have to find some pretty weird bulbs to keep the lights running. There is a lot of garbage in this market and finding the quality stuff can be a pain.
I was just about to post something to the fact they DO have regular lights and the off road as shown. So moderators don't need to worry about the illegal item as mentioned above.

You make a good point on effectiveness of the light. Below is some item specifics.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
I was under the impression they could run sans other colors on, with a switch, or as a regular headlight? Maybe I'm incorrect?
If the light is on a vehicle that's registered for use on the road, the headlights have to be compliant with FMVSS-108. These lights are not compliant ----- the mere ability to run fruity colors makes them non-compliant whether they're switched or not.

Lights are safety devices. Like brakes.
They let you see where you're going, signal your intentions, and be seen by other motorists. They have distinct functions & colors.
There are other motorists on the streets, many with fairly impaired skills. Old people, tired people, people on meds, people texting, stupid people.
Don't you think that it's a recipe for an accident if you confuse an 80 year old grandma on the way home from her eye doctor appointment with a toy headlight?

If you want to express your individuality with lights, mount them separate from your safety lighting and use them offroad or in the parking lot at Hooters. If you want to upgrade your safety lighting, there are safe & legal options that work very well.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't see how a silver headlight, sans the added lights, is confusing grandma. One built by a company that makes regular non add on colored lights and ones with extras. No one is advocating driving at night with a red demon glow??? This light looks like a projector you'd see on a TLX or the like all day long when turned off.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
They look like transformer eyeballs. I've never been a major fan of the other types of lights like these. Similarly, I don't like the neon ground lights kids get and go to car shows with or whatever. But these are edgy enough to be cool to me.

I don't see how these would be any more or less unsafe to HID's. At least these have projectors so they're not in oncoming motorist's eyes. I'd run them if I didn't already have HID's installed.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Okay. I've said this on the other thread related to this. 1) Each light will say if they are DOT compliant and approved for road use. 2) In some states, it is illegal to modify your OEM headlights (I.E. open up the headlight assembly and mod it). 3) In states where that isn't illegal, retrofits are perfectly fine unless they have an HID bulb in a non compliant projector shroud. In states that measure light output during inspections, if a proper projector shroud is used, the test will pass in a retrofitted light (unless its illegal in that state to modify OEM lights). In regards to the added demon eyes and halos, the use of switchback Halos (white illumination going down the road and amber blinking) is perfectly legal. If you have colored demon eyes, as long as they are not illuminating going down a public road, you are fine.

There is a difference between what the OP posted and correctly done retrofitted OEM lights with correct shrouds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, I know there are all kinds of wonky laws about it. In terms of legality etc I have zero contentions or arguments. But a forum is a place for informational exchanges. I don't see the reason to have moderators pluck threads about lights.

Insofar as the lights themselves, I've been hit by plenty of HID's on country roads as well. The benefit to them for the driver, in my opinion, is greater than the slightly elevated risk of oncoming motorist / someone being such a poor driver they run off the road because of them. I've never even heard of anyone wrecking from that. What i can say, is that it helps me -so- much at night that the net has to be a positive one in terms of overall safety. OEM lamp housing or not, HID's I think are a good thing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah, I know there are all kinds of wonky laws about it. In terms of legality etc I have zero contentions or arguments. But a forum is a place for informational exchanges. I don't see the reason to have moderators pluck threads about lights.

Insofar as the lights themselves, I've been hit by plenty of HID's on country roads as well. The benefit to them for the driver, in my opinion, is greater than the slightly elevated risk of oncoming motorist / someone being such a poor driver they run off the road because of them. I've never even heard of anyone wrecking from that. What i can say, is that it helps me -so- much at night that the net has to be a positive one in terms of overall safety. OEM lamp housing or not, HID's I think are a good thing.
No offense, if there is one thing I hate, its HIDs in a OEM headlight assembly with a simple reflector. Whether you believe it or not, they are extremely blinding because its not a concentrated beam. That is what the correct projector shroud is for. It concentrates that HID beam in a unified and dispersed manor. When you put a HID bulb in a OEM assembly with just a reflector, light is dispersed unevenly in a thousand different directions. Sure for you it improves vision at night, but others, it is extremely blinding. I would rather have someone go down the road with strobe lights than HIDs in an OEM assembly without the correct projector shrouds. Not to mention putting HIDs in an OEM assemlby without correct shrouds is illegal in all 50 states.

·
Registered
79 Posts
No offense taken. To each their own. I empathize that the oncoming traffic has to endure a bit of a bright headline from opposing side when HIDs are involved. I just think it's a very brief deal, and for the good it does the driver OF said HID lights in those lamps i think it's worth it.

If projectors made the lights brighter for the driver of the car with HID's, I'd be all for them, but I really dig the light spread myself.

One thing mostly unrelated.... I still can't discern the information from the freaking HID lights sticky to stop mine from flickering a tiny bit. A little annoying when i'm at a drive thru at night and see it bouncing a little bit on the walls. I hate knowing it is doing that. lol

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
...2) In some states, it is illegal to modify your OEM headlights (I.E. open up the headlight assembly and mod it). ...
It's illegal in every state & Canada. The laws regarding safety lighting are federal and states are permitted to make them stricter at a state level but not more lenient.
It's illegal to mount these headlights in a registered mv, whether you can defeat the Christmas lights or not.
Not trying to harp on it. Just want it to be clear that the lights are totally illegal in every state.

And I have heard of people wrecking because of illegal headlights.
In most cases it's not the LEO that will get you. It's the insurance adjuster.

Mount legal headlights. If you feel the need to adorn/festoon your vehicle, add separate lights and switch them. Turn them on at the mall. Have a ball.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's illegal in every state & Canada. The laws regarding safety lighting are federal and states are permitted to make them stricter at a state level but not more lenient.
It's illegal to mount these headlights in a registered mv, whether you can defeat the Christmas lights or not.
Not trying to harp on it. Just want it to be clear that the lights are totally illegal in every state.

And I have heard of people wrecking because of illegal headlights.
In most cases it's not the LEO that will get you. It's the insurance adjuster.

Mount legal headlights. If you feel the need to adorn/festoon your vehicle, add separate lights and switch them. Turn them on at the mall. Have a ball.
Interesting. I thought this was state specific. I was unaware of any federal statute or clause that specifically says it is illegal to modify a stock OEM headlight assembly in any way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts