Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of us are out there?! Oh cmon there's gotta be at least a few!

...Okay I will accept any rock lovers too.

Just say your favorite rock and share... well... anything you want (as long as it's geo related!)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't know what my favorite would be, but I was a Geology major in college a long, long time ago. Never got the degree, but I still think it's interesting!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fellow former geologist here in Portland Oregon! Going to explore for sunstones in central Oregon this summer hopefully.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Capy May Diamonds

Second favorite - Galena.
Have a good sized fluorite chrystal.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Amateur rock hound here. Mostly fossils.
Favorite gems: Garnets
Favorite fossils: Petoskey stone

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
Amateur RH, we just go about the area and find the occasional rock for my wife's collection. Hard to pick a favorite but I know she likes Petrified Wood and some of the Agate we find.

I really wanted this pair but I was in Zion N.P.:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fellow former geologist here in Portland Oregon! Going to explore for sunstones in central Oregon this summer hopefully.
Oooo. Well make sure you find a CRB deposit (not hard as you have them in portland) and search for the legendary Clarno Formation. It is difficult to find and extremely eroded but it is possible! I found some in eastern Oregon but not sure about central.
If you're in Eugene go down the the river bed and you're guaranteed to find fossils.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amateur RH, we just go about the area and find the occasional rock for my wife's collection. Hard to pick a favorite but I know she likes Petrified Wood and some of the Agate we find.

I really wanted this pair but I was in Zion N.P.:
zion is too cool. been there many a time

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I've been looking for a really nice rock/ stone to make my own shift knob with. I don't want to steer the topic away but if there are any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm not a geologist, but I play one on TV.

Relax... it's not really a problem unless you slam on the brakes when you pass a good road cut.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Graduated 3 years ago with my geology degree. Looking at road cuts while driving the jeep is what I do best. :)

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
I've been looking for a really nice rock/ stone to make my own shift knob with. I don't want to steer the topic away but if there are any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
not an actual rock but I have some rock like pool balls. The are made to look like lunar rocks.

·
Commercial Member
7,882 Posts
There is a lake north of me, miles of rocky shore. Next time I'm there on my bike I'm going to grab a few to make into shift knobs.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Big time fossil hunter. Mainly Miocene sharks teeth and other marine fossils. Always thought it would be cool to turn medium sized whale vertebraes into shift nobs would be cool or atleast a nice Meg tooth.

image-307231590.jpg

So recent finds

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
We live in an area that if you don't like rocks, you probably shouldn't be here. For you road cut guys, here is an interesting link about a cut that we pass a couple times a week. It speaks of the mineral vitrophyre which according to my UNLV related source isn't found in too many places...

Shoshone Road Cut

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We live in an area that if you don't like rocks, you probably shouldn't be here. For you road cut guys, here is an interesting link about a cut that we pass a couple times a week. It speaks of the mineral vitrophyre which according to my UNLV related source isn't found in too many places...

Shoshone Road Cut
vitrophyres are really cool. i saw a bunch of them on a field trip once in oregon near basalt flows and rhyolitic tuffs. cool stuff.

as far as shifter knobs... i wonder if there would be a way to make a resin ball of a geode. now THAT would be siiiiiick.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Both me and my wife graduated with BS Geology and MS Geoscience. Both of us started out with a major but with the oil downturn in the late 80s we eventually had to go a different direction. But, it was fun and we still explore old mining areas and rock hound. And, yes, that is one of the purposes for the Jeep.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts