Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guarantee this has been brought up in the past, but I can't find what I'm looking for. So I'll just start at the top...

03' TJ
6cyl
5spd Manual
3.07 Gears :puke:
33" BFG A/T
3.5" lift

I live in Oklahoma so its "mostly" flat terrain. I do mainly dirt roads and highways with the occasional mudding fun. My problem is the jeep is gutless on roads. 5th gear is pointless. Any type of an incline and 4th gear is revving 3500-4000rpm to climb. And the best I have yet to get is 14mpg.

is my gear ratio killing me? Where do I begin?
If changing gear ratio is the answer,... 3.73? 4.56?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Yeah, it's your 3.07's. I've got the same thing, but I've only got 31's on mine - I can't imagine how bad 33's must be. It makes my 5 sp into a 4 sp, for all practical purposes.

As far as your fuel mileage though - if you re-gear it's going to get worse, not better. I get about 14 also - which is kind of the reason they went to 3.07 to begin with, trying to improve dismal fuel economy. I've resigned myself to the fact that a Wrangler has approximately the same aerodynamics as a Taco Bell. It's never going to be good.

G

·
Between the two, 4.56. You're throwing away money to regear to 3.73. You could also go higher numerically if you want more power around town. Gear suggestion will be all over the place, most people will agree that 3.73 would be a waste of money though. I also rarely consider mileage. Lower numerically will be more MPG on highway but worse around town. And vise-versa, in small variations. You are driving a flat windshield and grill. A beater Honda will get you out better in the end if mileage is a real concern.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mileage is definitely NOT a concern. My major concern is power. I have NONE. I noticed this past weekend while going through mud, i was worried I didn't have enough torque to get through anything much deeper if I came across it. I feel like the 4.0L has what it needs but can't put the ponies anywhere... maybe i'm on the wrong track...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You need to regear to 4.56. If you plan to upgrade the rear axle to something stronger than the POS Dana 35 now is a good time to do so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Talked to "Offroad Addiction" shop here in Oklahoma and he recommended 4.56 with the 33's but to keep in mind that if i ever plan to run 35's he suggests going ahead to doing 4.88 instead.

Maybe this will make me a little happier with it without spends thousands...yet...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Talked to "Offroad Addiction" shop here in Oklahoma and he recommended 4.56 with the 33's but to keep in mind that if i ever plan to run 35's he suggests going ahead to doing 4.88 instead.
His advice was right on the $$$.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good deal, thank you. Probably what is going to happen is I'll get it in the shop and they'll talk me into spending more $$$. That is usually what happens at the Harley shop

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Upon the installation of the newer lower ratio gears, 4.56 or 4.88, you will feel like you just bought a brand-new Jeep. The performance improvement will be dramatic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm getting excited now! That is the kind of news I like to hear. I love my jeep. But better performance is always a +

Next comes new bumpers instead of the chrome double bar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts