Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've got some funds burning a hole in my pocket and want a new carplay headunit. I could get the AVH-4100NEX as they're on sale at Best Buy for $629 and get it installed there this weekend before a 5 hour road trip next week. Or I could wait for the AVH-4200NEX coming out in a few months and go that route for $700 plus install.

I could get the AVH-4100NEX installed on Saturday if I drive a bit so I'm considering that but I'm not sure the AVH-4200NEX will be "better" enough to warrant 10% more.

P.S. I'm also getting a backup camera installed as there are way too many little kids running around in our neighborhood.

What would you do?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been watching the nex versions last year. The difference between the new one is pretty vague. All I hear is "new". sub'd to find out more.
Yeah, the only main differences I noted on a youtube video was that the X200's have a diagnostic mode that probably hooks up with OBD port and they said it has the "new interface from the 8100 series which I don't care about.

Saving $70 is a nice bit of change. I played with one tonight at my local BB and the interface seems fine.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm in the same boat, unsure about HU and install. Did Best Buy seem to.know what they are talking about regarding install specifically uconnect, back up camera mount, usb etc? Did you get an install price?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Yeah, the only main differences I noted on a youtube video was that the X200's have a diagnostic mode that probably hooks up with OBD port and they said it has the "new interface from the 8100 series which I don't care about. Saving $70 is a nice bit of change. I played with one tonight at my local BB and the interface seems fine.
Dang that stinks I just shelled out for the 8100 and the new ones do diagnostics.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the same boat, unsure about HU and install. Did Best Buy seem to.know what they are talking about regarding install specifically uconnect, back up camera mount, usb etc? Did you get an install price?
I haven't spoken to them yet about it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I just had Best Buy install that HU, new speakers, amps, sub, and backup camera. They did a great job for me.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The only think related to install on my receipt is "standard speaker install" 61.48. The rest was done as part of a bundle where install was part of the price. The total for all was just under 2k.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only think related to install on my receipt is "standard speaker install" 61.48. The rest was done as part of a bundle where install was part of the price. The total for all was just under 2k.
What did you have done for $2k?

·
Registered
499 Posts
As far as I can tell the only differences between the 4100 and the 4200 is that the 4200 adds support for the gauges and diagnostics if you go with the idatalink maestro. Kind of pissed that Pioneer feels that justifies a new model when it seems like a firmware update could easily add this to the 4100. That said I really enjoy my 4100 and the lack of gauges isn't that big of a deal. So I guess the question is how much do you value having the gauges and diagnostic info on the screen?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as I can tell the only differences between the 4100 and the 4200 is that the 4200 adds support for the gauges and diagnostics if you go with the idatalink maestro. Kind of pissed that Pioneer feels that justifies a new model when it seems like a firmware update could easily add this to the 4100. That said I really enjoy my 4100 and the lack of gauges isn't that big of a deal. So I guess the question is how much do you value having the gauges and diagnostic info on the screen?
Honestly not much. I have the Connection kit so I get notified if my tires are low anyways. I can hook up an OBD reader if needed.

I'd rather save the $70 if that's the only thing that's different.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Honestly not much. I have the Connection kit so I get notified if my tires are low anyways. I can hook up an OBD reader if needed.

I'd rather save the $70 if that's the only thing that's different.
I'd go with the 4100 then. Also keep in mind that the pioneer NEX units are basically running android, and there is a massive thread over at avic411.com dedicated to hacking things and it may be possible to install the 4200 firmware in the future if you are feeling adventurous.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
I went with the 8100NEX. I got it on ebay, and it didn't take very long for it to get to my house, and I am in the process of installing it now, Install is going very well so far. I still have a couple of things I have to do, but should have it in today.

I think I paid 750 dollars for the unit, and I had to buy some stuff off of Amazon, which was WAY cheaper at Amazon than at Bestbuy. I got the stuff at bestbuy for 100 dollars, and had to source the mounting brackets, and antenna adapter.

I got the same harness, mounting bracket, and antenna adapter for like 60 bucks. Which would have been 150+ bucks there..

Installing the deck is pretty easy as well. Wiring harness is the hardest part, but a majority of the PAC-Audio wiring harnesses are the same to Pioneer. So your just matching colors, and soldering.

·
Registered
499 Posts
A few other notable differences I'm finding. The full idatalink maestro support is really the biggie. The new ones will also allow you to use android auto and carplay using the same USB input, it will auto detect which one you have plugged in. Also you are able to completely turn off the head unit with the car running whereas now you can only turn off the screen. I don't think there is a whole lot else.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Are those changes throughout the avic lineup or model specific? The duel usb is great if true.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts