Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at cooper stt in 35/12.50/17 but they are 10 ply tires. the goodyear wrangler mt/r is 6 ply or c rated my question is how much power and gas mileage am I going to loos with 35s in 10 ply vs 6ply. im running 3.73 gears in a 2012 sport:D

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Gas mileage is will suffer. E rated are truck tires, designed to take a load. C and D are softer, side walls. They will 'give' more under load or when aired down. E rated are heavier.
More tire with more ply count. I personally love E rated tires. Airing down to single digits is not a problem.

Bob K.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
The effects of a heavier tire are more pronounced in city or other stop-and-go driving. The power required to accelerate the heavier tires is what you will notice most. For highway driving, tire rolling resistance is a bigger issue.

If you are getting 35's for looks, get a set of C rated tires. If you wheel heavily, get E rated tires. If your usage is pretty mixed, get E's if you do highway driving and C's if you do a lot of city driving.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Mileage etc.

Granted I only had my originally tires on for a week but I did check my mileage. I put on E Rated 33's (KM2's) and really didn't notice a big difference. With the newer Penstar 3.6 engine and 3.73 gears, I didn't notice a big difference in excelleration or mileage. I wouldn't worry about that part. I run mine for DD but also off-roading. I like knowing that my side wall is heavier than a C or D rated tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts