Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many ppl running 35's ever have brake issues? Is it a concern? I just thought of this and I'm on a budget so I can do hog wild upgrading everything right away.

Currently running 32's with 2" lift. Any other issues I may have forgotten about?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been running 35's since August, haven't had any issues. But I am about to upgrade to the Teraflex Front/Rear Performance Big Rotor Kit

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've been on 35" tires with the stock brakes for 4 years with no issues. Might be a problem if you live where there are long stretches of very steep declines, but in those types of environments stock brakes can be an issue on any vehicle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks, I am planning on some upgraded tailgate hinges, maybe MORryde since its not too expensive. I also have a spare tire wheel relocation bracket in case I need it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You definitely notice that the stock brakes are less effective with 35s, but they will stop you if you stand on the brakes hard enough. I found that I kept overshooting stop signs slightly when I first went to 35s. If Mopar ever gets their brake kit to me I'll fix that.
As far as overheating going down steep grades I'd argue that the 35s have more drag then stock so it is less heat into the brakes. The Jeep has so much rolling resistance and air drag that downshifting a gear or two negates the need to brake on most hills.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Remember that all those mall crawlers out there with larger tires are most likely running stock brakes. You'll be fine until you can upgrade. When you get the 35's on if you feel unsafe you can buy better brake pads until you can get a big rotor kit or bbk.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I have stock size rotors and pads, both aftermarket, and so far that's doing the job for me, sure she won't stop like a Corvette, but i don't drive it like a Vette either, so i'm not expecting to stop on a dime, it feels stockish when slowing down, and i'm ok with how my brakes feel. The experience might differ for others for sure, weight, height, driving style etc ,will determine your need to upgrade.

Have fun.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I know I thought the brakes on my 2013 JKU sucked when running the stock 32s. I can't imagine running 35s with that setup, but maybe the drivers in your area don't inspire the number of oh shit moments that they do around here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ran 35s for about 6 months with stock brakes. I could stop fine but could tell my emergency stopping distance was affected. Eventually pulled the trigger on the Mopar BBK. I love it. Made a ton of difference in braking power for my 35s. Last month someone pulled in front of me when they did a Uturn and I was able to brake super hard from 35 mph to 0 and avoided hitting them. Without the kit I would have definitely hit them. That one save more than paid for my kit in my opinion.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Spend $120-130 on EBC green stuff pads. I literally just got done installing them on my Rubicon and the braking power is much improved. EBC claims 30% better than stock, whatever that means. I can tell you that when I had them on my Sahara they were much better than stock. Small money for a big improvement. Worth it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
1 year with 35's braking is good....probably will upgrade once rotors get eaten into but so far so good....I have manual so I downshift a lot to help but so far 35's and oem brakes are doing great.

·
Registered
155 Posts
How many ppl running 35's ever have brake issues? Is it a concern? I just thought of this and I'm on a budget so I can do hog wild upgrading everything right away.

Currently running 32's with 2" lift. Any other issues I may have forgotten about?
I found the biggest benefit of tuning the Jeep to the new tire size with an Automatic transmission was the automatic downshifting more so than shifting up points.

Slapping the Automatic shifter while in drive to the left one or two times in newer models putting the automatic tranmission to manual shifting down one or two gears can help.

Higher gear ratio I would think helps with slowing down as much as acceleration when the transmission is shifted or auto shifts down gears for engine braking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ran 35s for about 6 months with stock brakes. I could stop fine but could tell my emergency stopping distance was affected. Eventually pulled the trigger on the Mopar BBK. I love it. Made a ton of difference in braking power for my 35s. Last month someone pulled in front of me when they did a Uturn and I was able to brake super hard from 35 mph to 0 and avoided hitting them. Without the kit I would have definitely hit them. That one save more than paid for my kit in my opinion.
As I'm reading through the responses, this one by Lumbee77 is most accurate to what i experience. I don't drive my jeep aggressively so I can usually stop when I need to without an issue HOWEVER...... the braking is diminished enough that I know in an emergency I don't have the control I need. You will notice the diminished brake effectiveness without a doubt and you will adjust your driving style making yourself hyper aware of stopping distances in traffic etc.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Agreeing with BeanTown and Lumbee.

I definitely drive a little different in the jeep than the car. A little slower, more rolling along, still do faster than highway speeds when the lanes are open though.

Don't expect it to handle and stop as quickly. I'm looking at the big brake kit as well when putting on the 35's in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I have heard there could be issues off roading on steep hills going downhill backwards. I haven't had that situation because I put the TF front and rear kits on fairly soon after getting 35s.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Stock brakes with bigger/heavier tires/wheels is dangerous...in a panic stop. The stock brakes are barely enough for 31/32" tires that come on the Jeep.

I went with the Mopar Big Brake kit....essentially it's a Dodge Ram 1500 brakes. Bigger master cylinder, bigger brake booster, bigger rotors, pads and calipers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think anyone with MTs has less grip than ATs. If I was worried about stopping distance I would probably go sticky ATs before brakes.

Big brakes are more for sports cars that see a lot of high speed multiple brake applications over a short period of time.

Tire Grip is the grip and big brakes won't change that. They will get you to your anti skid slightly faster when u slam on them, but that is just pedal travel.

Lifting your Jeep with a cheap lift will hurt stopping distance while slapping on MTs for a daily driver will for the worst too. It is why I did not lift and run Nitto ATs.

Not tuning your Jeep for the big tires will ruin your engine braking in an auto transmission.

If you can't set off the Anti skid in emergency stop I might upgrade brakes, but that depends on the results. And the results are based on the speed you emergency stop and distance. Anti Skid is more about stability and control.

Not a physics professor or brake engineer. So any links to info would be appreciated.

Wide tires with lots of rubber that grips helps and looks better. 33" to 35" I would have 12" width minimum. Above that 14+ width. Width helps for stability too.

Your better off being conservative in following distance than being confident about big brakes.

Speed affects braking more than weight especially above 100 mph.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts