Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy crap this is my first post. I'm a nasty lurker here, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate you guys. I'm just excited and posting wildly around the internet I guess. Anyway, I've never really been particularly thrilled with the steering wheel in the Jeep. I guess I haven't hated it either, it's just kind of there. A few years ago I looked into swapping in an SRT wheel from a Charger or Grand Cherokee, but there are a few big hassles with that. After enough digging I wrote it off as not worth the effort, try again when independently wealthy or retired, and that was the end of it. Over the summer I picked up a Miata and it's become a new outlet for my irresponsible spending. Excuse me, for my appropriately allocated vehicle funding. Nevermind. There's a company who's very popular in the Miata community who makes custom steering wheels. Not leather wraps or anything, full on custom shaped wheels with buckets of options. Obviously I needed one for the Miata and I put an order in. That got me thinking about the wheel in the Jeep again. I sent them a message and we've gone back and forth a bit about what I'm looking for and it looks like it's doable. Here are the official specs for my wheel:
  • The diameter of the wheel is going to shrink from 385mm to 360mm. That's an inch overall (I like the wheel low and I'll take all the leg room I can get)
  • Flat bottom on the wheel! Again, that leg clearance is important
  • No thumb rests. Usually their sporty wheels have nice thumb rests (the Miata wheel I ordered has them) but I'm opting out on the Jeep wheel
  • The stock wheel cross section is 110mm and it's round. They proposed an oval cross section in 114mm or 120mm. I'm going to measure the oval shaped wheel in my wife's GTI tonight to see how I feel about the thickness.
  • Colored stitching and center stripe. I haven't decided on the colors yet but they sent me a mockup in red.
While I'm at it, here's that mockup:

I love it. We are going over the details because everything is customizable. There's no timeline or price on it yet, but I'll update as I learn more. This is basically everything I wanted in the SRT wheel except it's a direct swap, all the buttons will work, and it'll be nicer in size, shape and materials to boot. I can't wait!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Nice! I like it!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
How much?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
It's my understanding that OEM steering wheels are designed with energy absorption and flexing considerations. I wonder if the new custom wheel is made the same way.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Do they have chrome chain steering wheels?

Reactions: Lou E

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no idea how to multi quote in this forum format so:

The wheels they make now are in the $500-$800 range. I'd expect this would be similar.

I don't know what their crash test considerations are, if any. Personally it's not a big concern. I can ask.

I don't think they make any heated wheels! I hadn't thought of that. I've never had one so I guess it's not something I'd miss. I can ask?

They didn't require a core for the Miata and they didn't ask me for one for the Jeep. I had offered too, for R&D purposes. The Miata wheel comes fully assembled minus the airbag assembly, switches, and trim. You just swap yours in when the wheel comes.

Chain is not an option I've seen. I'm sure the high-end-chrome-chain market is untapped though, might be worth an email if that's what you're lookin for.

I know it's silly and all that pretty leather is going to suffer the elements and muddy hands, but I'm ok with it. I know what I'm about. Since I've never introduced myself here, this is my '12 Rubicon. It's my daily and we get it out to Rausch Creek a few times a year.

Bonus pic of the kid "helping me" get the roof on last week.

Extra bonus pic, here's the Miata

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Nice rides! I’ve been wanting a Miata for a long time but the JKU takes all the extra money.

·
Registered
440 Posts
link to their website??????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
link to their website??????
The company is called Guardian Designs. I guess it's cool if I share their stuff, right? I'm not selling anything. Check these out, they do leather, perf leather, alcantara, flat bottoms, flat tops, lots of colors and stitching options. It's pretty slick. The first one is the wheel I ordered for the Miata:

They do leather boots to match too. I'm hoping they can remake the custom leather boot I had done years ago to match the new wheel.

I want to see if I can do an ebrake boot too instead of the brushy things. Maybe I can design and 3D print some sort of collar to hold it to the console. My brushy things fell out a long time ago, it'd be nice to close that up.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
I‘m intrigued. I also like the idea of doing away with the bristles.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nice, the Miata must be the wife's?

·
Registered
538 Posts
The company is called Guardian Designs. I guess it's cool if I share their stuff, right? I'm not selling anything. Check these out, they do leather, perf leather, alcantara, flat bottoms, flat tops, lots of colors and stitching options. It's pretty slick. The first one is the wheel I ordered for the Miata:

They do leather boots to match too. I'm hoping they can remake the custom leather boot I had done years ago to match the new wheel.

I want to see if I can do an ebrake boot too instead of the brushy things. Maybe I can design and 3D print some sort of collar to hold it to the console. My brushy things fell out a long time ago, it'd be nice to close that up.
Love the Drake accessories, I have all of them.
IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I love the shift knobs. They feel much better in the hand than the stock plastic jobs too. The Miata is my toy car, wife has a GTI ;)

So the current estimate is a week to finish the wheel, boot, and trim and then it ships! The Miata wheel didn't take long to arrive so I'm optimistic that it'll be in soon. Very exciting!

The Miata wheel showed up a few weeks ago and I put it in immediately, what an enormous difference. The change in diameter, profile, and materials makes such an impression. There's also a big difference in cabin space with the smaller wheel, which I'm looking forward to in the Jeep as well. I'm picky as hell and I can't find a single flaw in the materials or construction of this thing. It even smells amazing. On top of that, driving with it is somehow even more fun. It has a very go-kart feel to it and it helps me pretend I'm a race car driver. Check it out:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It's done!! Here are the final specs for the Wrangler wheel:

Stock: 387mm diameter, round 106mm grip
Corsa: 360mm diameter, oval 110mm grip (they will pad it thicker if you want)

For my particular wheel I picked:
Corsa D (flat bottom with thumb rests. I saw a photo during their molding process and it looked so good I added them. If I break a thumb on the trail, it's on me)
Solid black leather top and bottom, perforated black leather sides
415 Dark Gray signature stitching
Ferrari Red noon marker
Gloss black spoke trim

They did also address a concern about the stock wheel's crash performance next to stock. The official response is "While we haven't exactly tested it in a lab, I can say that the metal core is not modified by us. It's quite thin which is why we are able to shrink the diameter and add the flat bottom without doing anything to it. As for the material around the core defining the new shape, it is the same material as stock." For my purposes, that's perfectly acceptable.

On to the photos!!

Oh my gooooood

It's SOOOOO good

Next to stock

I also had them replace my aging custom short shifter boot. I sent them that boot and a stock boot so they may have options for either.

It's waaaay too pretty for my Jeep. I'm going to have to do some serious cleaning before I get these in there! I have to do serious cleaning anyway, the floor is full of Rausch mud from the last trip out.

Bonus trail pic! Once in a while we have to air it out, the A/C is down with a busted condenser and the floor gets hot with the exhaust rerouted for the long arms

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
I like it

1 - 20 of 36 Posts