Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I like it but you can keep the thumb rests. What was the bill?

·
Premium Member
8,826 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
It's here!!

Came in not five minutes ago. It was all very nicely packed. Everything is gorgeous.

So exciting!

There it is!

With the boot! I was in a hurry and the lighting is funny but they match perfectly.

The gloss black trim is gorgeous and everything else about the wheel and boot is perfect, not a stitch out of place. I can't wait to get it in the Jeep! I'll get better photos when I get it installed, I just had to share!

The final cost was $719 for the wheel with the flat bottom. Options are a la carte so its additional for thumb rests, painted trim, colored leather, and alcantara (that may not be a comprehensive list but those are the ones I'm pretty sure of from the Miata options). The round wheel would be a little less and you can do the flat bottom and top which I think is a little more. I know the cost is prohibitive for some, but you do get what you pay for and this has been on my list for a while so I went for it. I knew it would be expensive. It made a huge difference in the Miata. Seriously, this is the thing you touch every second that you're driving. To me, it's worth the price.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
The gloss black trim is gorgeous and everything else about the wheel and boot is perfect, not a stitch out of place. I can't wait to get it in the Jeep! I'll get better photos when I get it installed, I just had to share!

The final cost was $719 for the wheel with the flat bottom. Options are a la carte so its additional for thumb rests, painted trim, colored leather, and alcantara (that may not be a comprehensive list but those are the ones I'm pretty sure of from the Miata options). The round wheel would be a little less and you can do the flat bottom and top which I think is a little more. I know the cost is prohibitive for some, but you do get what you pay for and this has been on my list for a while so I went for it. I knew it would be expensive. It made a huge difference in the Miata. Seriously, this is the thing you touch every second that you're driving. To me, it's worth the price.
Nice.
But for $719 I think the stock wheel works just fine!

·
Premium Member
8,826 Posts
Hmm, put on the wish list I guess. I need to hit up to local pull a parts and see if I can't source a second wheel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did a Steering Wheel swap on my 2010 Charger with a 2016 Scatpack Challenger. You should be able to swap Steering wheels from a SRT Jeep/Charger/Challenger/300/Durango and get a Flat bottom steering wheel. I had to grind the Dia. of the Shaft to slide into my 2010's Clock spring and I switched the Airbag plugs with my 2010s and it was a Plug in play set up. Super easy to do.

I found a thread on here where someone started to do this, but didn't post when finished.

I tested a kit from a vendor on Charger forum, who made me a Bluetooth kit to make the paddle shifter control a couple of my accessories. but if your a new Jeep with a NAG1. You should be able to get the paddle shifters to even work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check www.car-part.com for steering wheels. I've used them to find all sorts of parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I did a Steering Wheel swap on my 2010 Charger with a 2016 Scatpack Challenger. You should be able to swap Steering wheels from a SRT Jeep/Charger/Challenger/300/Durango and get a Flat bottom steering wheel. I had to grind the Dia. of the Shaft to slide into my 2010's Clock spring and I switched the Airbag plugs with my 2010s and it was a Plug in play set up. Super easy to do.

I found a thread on here where someone started to do this, but didn't post when finished.

I tested a kit from a vendor on Charger forum, who made me a Bluetooth kit to make the paddle shifter control a couple of my accessories. but if your a new Jeep with a NAG1. You should be able to get the paddle shifters to even work.
This is the route I had originally intended to go. What I prefer about this wheel, aside from the customization aspects, is that it's the same wheel, same connectors, true plug and play with zero mods. I'd be curious to see this wheel next to the stock SRT wheel in terms of size and materials. As I understood it, buying an SRT wheel was in the $500 range too, though I haven't looked for them in a long time.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well, here's something I didn't know I wanted. My stock wheel's leather wrap is starting to show age and wear, so was looking for alternatives. Thanks for the thread, OP!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My stocker was also getting a little ragged around the edges. You can see it plainly in the 'before' shot. Let me tell you, swapping the steering wheel is shockingly easy. Two bolts and three connectors gets the airbag out. One bolt and a connector gets the wheel off with some tugging. I have 158k on the clock and the wheel popped off without protest.

So here's what we started with:

Yes, my Jeep is dirty. I cleaned as I went. Yes, some interior trims are missing. I'll get the cage in there one day. I took some time to clean up the clockspring and all the other goodies behind the wheel while I was in there. I had some updated steering wheel trims kicking around from when I had the clockspring replaced (under warranty, so it's been a while).

These are the revised trim pieces. They updated them a few years ago to allow less dust and moisture into the clockspring and other components. I guess I had always expected pulling the wheel would be a pain so I never got around to changing them out. If anyone wants part numbers, I still have the bags. The upper (new on top):

Lower (new on top):

And the rear wheel trim (new on left). The Guardian wheel came assembled with the old style trim so I changed it out:

I put a little anti seize on the splines and the wheel slid right on. The alignment is exactly the same from the stock wheel. Then I bolted it in, hooked everything up and got the airbag in and that was it!

I got the boot in as well. The leather is thick and it took some persuasion to get it seated.

And all together! Or as together as it gets..

While I was at it I finally got the center JK Pocket installed. I thought that would have been more difficult too, but the little panel pops right out. So between the trim, the wheel, the pocket, and new feet on the X Grip, it was a pretty productive day!

I only took a minute to drive down the street to try out the wheel. I really like it. It's everything I was hoping to achieve. It's smaller, more oval, and generally is just a pleasure to hold on to. It feels like a really high end part too, which makes the whole experience better. I haven't gotten enough seat time in for a more detailed assessment, but I will and I'll report back. First impressions are outstanding though!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I inquired about that kit, but never got a response from the guy making them. Do you know if he is still in business. I like autostick when offroading, but I really thought the paddles would be nice in the dunes so I can keep ahold of the wheel

·
Registered
32 Posts
I inquired about that kit, but never got a response from the guy making them. Do you know if he is still in business. I like autostick when offroading, but I really thought the paddles would be nice in the dunes so I can keep ahold of the wheel
Let me see if I can find out for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
21 - 36 of 36 Posts