Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1995 YJ 4.0 5sp
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and looked at a '95 YJ six cylinders five speeds last night. It has a 3" lift and big tires on it (not sure exactly what size tires). I'll pick it up tomorrow, I'm super excited!

I've had a TJ years ago, then had twins so went and got an Accord. Boring, I know.

Then, I got a house, and eventually a YJ as a toy. Hooray!

But then, I got married, and now have 2 kids and 2 stepkids, so I sold the YJ and got a conversion van for us all to go around in. It was a '94 Sahara that I bought for $1,500, completely fixed up and then sold for $4,500. It was a pretty sweet van, but it wasn't a YJ.

Then, wife got an Acadia with a third row seat. Now we can take all the kids around in that.

SO, I got rid of the van and got a pickup truck for hauling shit out of the yard and what have you.

BUT, I keep dreaming about my Jeep. I must take the roof and doors off. I miss the manual transmission. I miss four wheel drive in the snow.

SO, yesterday I had a look at a '95 and we agreed on a price. I'll sell the Ranger and come out even, maybe even up enough to pick up one of those little wire trailers that they have at Lowe's. For the shit hauling.

Anyway, tomorrow at around 3 PM, I'M BACK!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Welcome back sudsytimmy,

Good luck, L.M.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Went and looked at a '95 YJ six cylinders five speeds last night. It has a 3" lift and big tires on it (not sure exactly what size tires). I'll pick it up tomorrow, I'm super excited!

I've had a TJ years ago, then had twins so went and got an Accord. Boring, I know.

Then, I got a house, and eventually a YJ as a toy. Hooray!

But then, I got married, and now have 2 kids and 2 stepkids, so I sold the YJ and got a conversion van for us all to go around in. It was a '94 Sahara that I bought for $1,500, completely fixed up and then sold for $4,500. It was a pretty sweet van, but it wasn't a YJ.

Then, wife got an Acadia with a third row seat. Now we can take all the kids around in that.

SO, I got rid of the van and got a pickup truck for hauling shit out of the yard and what have you.

BUT, I keep dreaming about my Jeep. I must take the roof and doors off. I miss the manual transmission. I miss four wheel drive in the snow.

SO, yesterday I had a look at a '95 and we agreed on a price. I'll sell the Ranger and come out even, maybe even up enough to pick up one of those little wire trailers that they have at Lowe's. For the shit hauling.

Anyway, tomorrow at around 3 PM, I'M BACK!!!!!!!
Lets get those pictures up soon!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yep need to see some pictures

·
Registered
1995 YJ 4.0 5sp
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took all that chrome off, spray painted the headlight surrounds black. Replaced the water pump and fixed the heater (the wire that controls the heater core switch was disconnected and I thought I had to replace the core, fortunately it was just the temp control wire).

The jeep pops out of first gear, that is the next challenge. Also the gas gauge reads "full" all the time, might have to get into the fuel tank. If I drop the tank, I'll just replace the whole pump assembly.

·
Registered
1995 YJ 4.0 5sp
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the shifter and transfer case knobs off, and took off the boot. Now I'm going to take off the plate over the trans and transfer case. What am I looking for to see why it's popping out of first gear? I can put up a picture of it in a few minutes. Also, the jeep is lifted, how do I determine whether it's a frame lift or a body lift?

I've never had a lifted vehicle before.

Also, it is on 33 inch 12.5 R15 tires.

·
Registered
1995 YJ 4.0 5sp
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are pictures of the stick without the boot or the rubber cover. I'm not hitting the tub in first gear at all. I guess it might be popping out of first because there could be a bad syncro.

Could it be the clutch master / slave cylinder?

Thanks guys.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wow dude, sorry for the assie ,comments but if your not able to differentiate between a control cable and "wire controlling your heater core" a body lift or spring lift, you hopefully will employ somebody that can assist you in your repairs before something goes bad. If you had a body lift you'd see big ugly plastic blocks between the body and frame and a ugly gap too. The pics do not look like that's the case. Running 33's would require a lift, no body lift, then yes a spring lift. This also likely means a TC drop. Being we cant see under your rig there is no telling what somebody else did to it in the way of mickey mousing things or doing it right like a SYE kit instead of a TC drop. TC drops put the T case and trans shift levers lower in the plastic shift boots. If their old, rock hard from weather or extreme cold and stiff it can push against shifter and be unkind to internals regarding whatever gear your in. Thing driving around with your arm resting on the shifter forcing it out of gear. IIRC on my 91 2,4&R are worst then 1,3 & 5 because its been in the low teens here, once things are warmed up its normal. There is a plastic bushing at the tip of the shifter that wears out and can cause slop or problems if its disintegrated. However, poping out of gear typically means time for transmission work like syncros, could a bent shift fork ect,ect. Get some help, 4 eyes are better than 2,2 brains are better then 1. Be safe, bag and label parts as your tear it apart which always helps. Good luck

·
Registered
1995 YJ 4.0 5sp
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow dude, sorry for the assie ,comments but if your not able to differentiate between a control cable and "wire controlling your heater core" a body lift or spring lift, you hopefully will employ somebody that can assist you in your repairs before something goes bad. If you had a body lift you'd see big ugly plastic blocks between the body and frame and a ugly gap too. The pics do not look like that's the case. Running 33's would require a lift, no body lift, then yes a spring lift. This also likely means a TC drop. Being we cant see under your rig there is no telling what somebody else did to it in the way of mickey mousing things or doing it right like a SYE kit instead of a TC drop. TC drops put the T case and trans shift levers lower in the plastic shift boots. If their old, rock hard from weather or extreme cold and stiff it can push against shifter and be unkind to internals regarding whatever gear your in. Thing driving around with your arm resting on the shifter forcing it out of gear. IIRC on my 91 2,4&R are worst then 1,3 & 5 because its been in the low teens here, once things are warmed up its normal. There is a plastic bushing at the tip of the shifter that wears out and can cause slop or problems if its disintegrated. However, poping out of gear typically means time for transmission work like syncros, could a bent shift fork ect,ect. Get some help, 4 eyes are better than 2,2 brains are better then 1. Be safe, bag and label parts as your tear it apart which always helps. Good luck
I just got this Jeep 2 days ago dude. I've already replaced the water pump which fixed a coolant leak, and now I'm working through what is wrong with the transmission. I'm bringing it to a transmission shop for Tuesday. I was posting my issue to see if anyone would just know what the issue was.

I know my way around jeeps, I've just never had a lifted one before. The heater core issue I fixed by myself, maybe I don't know the exact terms for each individual part.

Anyhow, thanks for the information about lifts. I guess mine is spring lifted. I don't see anything at the tub mounts (which I would imagine would be where a body lift would be, between the tub and the frame).

I'm learning about lifts, and learning this particular Jeep. When I got it, the PO had the hard top on OVER a bikini top, and the soft top channels were installed all the way around the tub. Took that stuff off, got the bikini top and windshield channel mount for the bikini off and the hard top is on correct now.

The PO also did not have a thermostat in the housing, and there was no air filter either.

Thankfully the oil is oily (not chocolate milk) and the motor itself runs well with no codes.

·
Registered
1995 YJ 4.0 5sp
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Being we cant see under your rig there is no telling what somebody else did to it in the way of mickey mousing things or doing it right like a SYE kit instead of a TC drop. TC drops put the T case and trans shift levers lower in the plastic shift boots. If their old, rock hard from weather or extreme cold and stiff it can push against shifter and be unkind to internals regarding whatever gear your in. There is a plastic bushing at the tip of the shifter that wears out and can cause slop or problems if its disintegrated.

Looking at the stick with the plate removed in the picture above, I think that bushing in there looks pretty good, but I don't know what a good one vs. a bad one looks like.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Looking at the stick with the plate removed in the picture above, I think that bushing in there looks pretty good, but I don't know what a good one vs. a bad one looks like.
You'll need to remove your shifter to get to the bushing. It's at the other end of the shift lever from the part you hold when shifting.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
1995 YJ 4.0 5sp
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rushwal, thank you. I think I'll take a shot at replacing the bushing and see what happens. The Jeep is at a tranny shop right now, and they are estimating around 2.5k to rebuild and around 4.5k to swap in another tranny. I'm not ready to drop that kind of coin, since the Jeep is not my DD. I think I'll try replacing the bushing and if that doesn't work I guess I'll just swap out the trans with a used one I can source near me for around 500 bucks.

Fun stuff!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Their quoting you $2500 to $4500 to fix the trans?? That is an insane amount of money. I think you can buy a brand new crate trans from Chrysler for $2800 which is not cheap in its itself. You should be paying $1500, $1800 to have a complete rebuild with a new clutch from a competent trans shop. That just nuts.

·
Registered
947 Posts
You can buy a brand new AX15 for under $1700. Now mind you still would want to put a new clutch in while your there so add $200 for that. So your still under well under $2500 they want to rebuild yours and I know which one I rather have.

I’d point that out to them, then tell them thanks but no thanks for trying to screw you.

https://www.advanceadapters.com/products/26-ax15--aisin-ax15-5-speed-transmission-new/

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/transmission/transmission-packages/ax15-package

·
Registered
1995 YJ 4.0 5sp
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys. I am going to start looking for a used AX15 locally. So far, I found a rebuilt one for $800, but I am pretty sure I can find one closer to $500. I'm going to get that trans out myself, replace the clutch and stick the new one in. But this will happen over the next weeks / months.

Why do my major auto repairs tend to happen in January / February? That Ranger cylinder head I did last year was right in February.

For now, I can just start in second.

Thanks again guys, I thought their quote was way high too.

·
Registered
1995 YJ 4.0 5sp
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found an AX15 locally for 400. External slave, just like my 95 YJ. This trans is from a 97 TJ, but all of my research says it will bolt right on.

If I'm wrong, Jeep Gods, please let me know.

I'll pick the trans up in a week because it's still in the donor.

Let me know if it is incompatible please, but I am 98 percent sure I found a four hundred dollar bolt in solution.

Thanks,

Tim

1 - 20 of 56 Posts