Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my 2016 75th Anniversary edition Jeep Wrangler Unlimited from its 33 inch Nitto Terra Grappler G2s to 37 inch G2s with a 5 inch lift. I am currently having a hard time figuring out the rims I would need in terms of backspacing and off set. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
4.5" backspacing aka -12mm offset will work. Curious about a 5" lift, never heard about that size, that's getting really up there for a lift and not needed for 37" tires. Most will say 37" tires with a 2.5" lift and flat fenders will work or 37" tires and a 3.5" lift.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
4.5" of back spacing should do it. But your rims will be the least of your worries when going to 37s. What axles do you have? Gears? What are you doing to address your drive line angles? Drive shafts? Brakes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4.5" backspacing aka -12mm offset will work. Curious about a 5" lift, never heard about that size, that's getting really up there for a lift and not needed for 37" tires. Most will say 37" tires with a 2.5" lift and flat fenders will work or 37" tires and a 3.5" lift.
I was told by a buddy that I'd need a 5" lift to fit the 37" tires since I am going to keep my stock fenders, I am not sure that is the case though based on your explanation.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have a 5.5 inch lift on my Jeep with 37" Nittos. Jeremy at Rock Krawler built this long arm 3 link kit and my boyfriend installed it. We had to move my front axel forward an inch and my rear axel back an inch. I had to purchase custom drive lines front and rear. We added Artec gussets to my axels, but I plan on swapping them to Dana 60s down the road. We added AGR ram assist since I'm running 37s. We trimmed the back fender wells as much as we could and I have zero issues on the rocks. My Jeep has been across the Rubicon and performed like a beast! I know 5.5 inches is not exactly practical but my last Jeep was totaled and I wanted bigger and badder this time around.

image-2440164985.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything is stock as of now besides the 33" Nittos and spidertrax spacers, what would I need as a whole for this entire build?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4.5" of back spacing should do it. But your rims will be the least of your worries when going to 37s. What axles do you have? Gears? What are you doing to address your drive line angles? Drive shafts? Brakes?
Everything is stock as of now besides the 33" Nittos and spidertrax spacers, what would I need as a whole for this entire build?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a 5.5 inch lift on my Jeep with 37" Nittos. Jeremy at Rock Krawler built this long arm 3 link kit and my boyfriend installed it. We had to move my front axel forward an inch and my rear axel back an inch. I had to purchase custom drive lines front and rear. We added Artec gussets to my axels, but I plan on swapping them to Dana 60s down the road. We added AGR ram assist since I'm running 37s. We trimmed the back fender wells as much as we could and I have zero issues on the rocks. My Jeep has been across the Rubicon and performed like a beast! I know 5.5 inches is not exactly practical but my last Jeep was totaled and I wanted bigger and badder this time around.

View attachment 3295897
What wheels are those? 17"? They look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I'm at 4.5" lift with 37's, I would have had to replace my driveshaft again if I went higher and since I just did it after it met with a big rock, I stayed with the 4.5". I've got 4.5" backspacing on the wheels. I had a heck of a time finding 17's with that backspacing because I was looking for a black wheel I could have converted to a beadlock at OMF. Hopefully you have an easier time.

There's quite a bit involved going to 37's. I was running 35's for the past 4 years so I had a couple things done ahead of time. But the last couple months have been costly getting the final items on my list done. My husband started it by just mentioning, "your wheels look small" with my 35's.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Right from the start, I would say: Driveshafts, axles, gears and brakes. I know someone that has 4" lift, stock driveshafts, axles, brakes and 4:10 gears. Her Jeep never leaves the pavement and she hasn't had any issues over the past 3 years. It depends how you use it I guess. I refused to go bigger tires without upgrading brakes, but that's just me.

Lisa

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Axles and drive shafts for sure. I'd keep the lift relatively small. Put a 3.5" lift on it and trim your fenders or get flat fenders. You'll definitely need gears. 4.88s at a minimum. Your ball joints will be shot in no time with 37s. You'll also want something like a Teraflex brake kit. These are not cheap mods. Just to do your gears and axles, you're looking at $2,500 to $3,000. Drive shafts are another $800 to $1,000. You can trim your fenders for free. Ball joints are several hundred dollars. The bigger better brakes are another $1,200 or so. So, $5,000 should get you started! That doesn't count the lift and tires and wheels. 37s aren't cheap! You'll spend another $5,000 or so for all of that.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Axles and drive shafts for sure. I'd keep the lift relatively small. Put a 3.5" lift on it and trim your fenders or get flat fenders. You'll definitely need gears. 4.88s at a minimum. Your ball joints will be shot in no time with 37s. You'll also want something like a Teraflex brake kit. These are not cheap mods. Just to do your gears and axles, you're looking at $2,500 to $3,000. Drive shafts are another $800 to $1,000. You can trim your fenders for free. Ball joints are several hundred dollars. The bigger better brakes are another $1,200 or so. So, $5,000 should get you started! That doesn't count the lift and tires and wheels. 37s aren't cheap! You'll spend another $5,000 or so for all of that.
Don't forget steering or ram assist. 37's put too much stress on the stock steering.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
$15k should get you in the ball park if done correctly. Ever more if you go full hard core.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Don't forget steering or ram assist. 37's put too much stress on the stock steering.
Yup. Forgot about that. That's a few grand more to do it right.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
$15k should get you in the ball park if done correctly. Ever more if you go full hard core.
I tried to add up what I have in upgrading from 35's and started getting the shakes, lol. My husband has just as much in his TJ.
Just what I recently added. RCV's, ProRock 44, Black Magic brakes, Reid knuckles, PSC steering, OMF beadlocks with 37's and gears add up to almost 18,000. That's stuff I did just to upgrade to the 37's. I've already upgraded rear axles and had the rear shifted back for clearance, upgraded drive shafts and done all the lift components...
Ya, 35's are much cheaper!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
2 or three empty credit cards, a new checkbook, and a fat wallet :lmao:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts