Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2008 JK 2 door Wrangler X.
He's got 131K miles on him already. Only thing I don't like is the jeep seems to be lacking power. What are some mods I can try to add some HP without breaking the bank?

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Yes, what gears do you have?
What is not breaking the bank?
What size tires are you running?

Your best bang for the buck, for acceleration, is going to be regear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HP on the 3.8 is not really worth any investment. You can go Supercharger (i did at first) but that will cost 5k. It was crappy to drive and I ended up getting 4mpg and having to run super unleaded. The only thing you can do is watch the weight, tire size, and re-gear. The way to make the 2007-11 Jeep actually feel like it should is to go v8 swap which is what I did. IMO it was worth every penny :)

·
Super Moderator
8,053 Posts
Hello I have a 2008 JK 2 door Wrangler X.
He's got 131K miles on him already. Only thing I don't like is the jeep seems to be lacking power. What are some mods I can try to add some HP without breaking the bank?
As others have mentioned, gears will be your biggest bang for the buck.
What gears do you have now and what size tires do you have?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Skip the fart cans, the wonder filters, and the plug in gimmicks.
Most bang for the buck is proper gearing; You can spend your way around this, but you’ll still end up regearing.... especially if your “stock” gearing is 3:21.
FYI: stock JKs came with numerous gear sets, not just one. 3:21, 3:73, 4:10 (Rubicon).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Skip the fart cans, the wonder filters, and the plug in gimmicks.
Most bang for the buck is proper gearing; You can spend your way around this, but you’ll still end up regearing.... especially if your “stock” gearing is 3:21.
FYI: stock JKs came with numerous gear sets, not just one. 3:21, 3:73, 4:10 (Rubicon).

Thanks, looks like it is a clear consensus that re-gearing is the way to go. I do believe my stock gears are the 3:21.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts