Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 TJ sport. I need an sye and a cv driveshaft. Do I need a front and rear driveshaft. Dana 30 front and 35 rear. Done alot to many jeeps but never did this. Always just did the tcase drop. Any help is appreciated. I did some offroading but not alot so is one brand better than another. Easier to install etc. Thanks jeepers

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
I haven't messed with the front of mine yet at all. Haven't had to as of yet. The SYE and CV shaft was an absolute necessity for me however. I didn't install the rear UCAs until later, and that's when I pulled the t/c drop. If you remove the t/c drop you'll probably need rear UCAs at a minimum, especially if you have a lift.

As far as brand goes, I installed the Rugged Ridge SYE and CV shaft that Baseline 4x4 sells and haven't had any issues yet. Others have installed the same kit and have needed to replace the rear seal on the SYE. I've heard good things about JB Conversions super short kit, and about Advance Adapters kit.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lindel said:
I haven't messed with the front of mine yet at all. Haven't had to as of yet. The SYE and CV shaft was an absolute necessity for me however. I didn't install the rear UCAs until later, and that's when I pulled the t/c drop. If you remove the t/c drop you'll probably need rear UCAs at a minimum, especially if you have a lift.

As far as brand goes, I installed the Rugged Ridge SYE and CV shaft that Baseline 4x4 sells and haven't had any issues yet. Others have installed the same kit and have needed to replace the rear seal on the SYE. I've heard good things about JB Conversions super short kit, and about Advance Adapters kit.
Good news

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I do have a lift 4" running 33s
Just out of curiosity, from the picture in the avitar, it does not appeat you have a 4" lift (unless the picture is out of date)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neil F. said:
Just out of curiosity, from the picture in the avitar, it does not appeat you have a 4" lift (unless the picture is out of date)
Picture was back when I had 2 1/2" lift. I have changed since then. Since I have added different lift sway bar disconnect adjustable track bar and a few other odds n ends

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I have a 2000 TJ sport. I need an sye and a cv driveshaft. Do I need a front and rear driveshaft.
For an SYE, you will need a new rear drive shaft, specific to the length from the transfer case output to the rear differential pinion yoke. JB Conversions makes the best SYE on the market. Next brand in line is the SYE from Advance Adapters. I personally run a Teraflex SYE which is basically a clone of the Advance Adapters product.

The upgrade is fairly easy, I didn't remove my transfer case from the Jeep but many do, as it allows for more room. I didn't see an inconvenience working from the bottom of the Jeep vs. on a workbench.

Get yourself a set of quality lock and snap ring pliers , it is the difference between heaven and hell. I got mine from Sears, took me 2 minutes to remove the lock rings. If you have the suck in pliers, it will take you more than 2 minutes - trust me...;)

In addition to the SYE part and drive shaft, you will also need adjustable rear upper and lower control arms - if they did not come with your 4" lift. Depending on how much you adjust your pinion angle, you may also need to get an adjustable rear track bar (again if it did not come with your 4" lift) and a CV type relocation bracket to relieve stress on the OEM track bar bracket on the axle.

I went through SYE process this year and it was fairly easy. The most difficult part for me was the rear track bar and trying to figure out clearance issues, I was rubbing the rear track bar on my rear exhaust and rear gas tank skid. What a nightmare!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IslandTJ said:
For an SYE, you will need a new rear drive shaft, specific to the length from the transfer case output to the rear differential pinion yoke. JB Conversions makes the best SYE on the market. Next brand in line is the SYE from Advance Adapters. I personally run a Teraflex SYE which is basically a clone of the Advance Adapters product.

The upgrade is fairly easy, I didn't remove my transfer case from the Jeep but many do, as it allows for more room. I didn't see an inconvenience working from the bottom of the Jeep vs. on a workbench.

Get yourself a set of quality lock and snap ring pliers , it is the difference between heaven and hell. I got mine from Sears, took me 2 minutes to remove the lock rings. If you have the suck in pliers, it will take you more than 2 minutes - trust me...;)

In addition to the SYE part and drive shaft, you will also need adjustable rear upper and lower control arms - if they did not come with your 4" lift. Depending on how much you adjust your pinion angle, you may also need to get an adjustable rear track bar (again if it did not come with your 4" lift) and a CV type relocation bracket to relieve stress on the OEM track bar bracket on the axle.

I went through SYE process this year and it was fairly easy. The most difficult part for me was the rear track bar and trying to figure out clearance issues, I was rubbing the rear track bar on my rear exhaust and rear gas tank skid. What a nightmare!
Thanks I have an adjustable track bar but will need the rear control arms as I pieced my lift together so I didn't get those yet. The driveshafts that are adjustable. They say the work from 2 to 6 inches of lift is my thought so if I ever decide to go larger lift I still can. Again thanks to all and keep the thoughts coming

·
Knows a couple things...
49,630 Posts
Driveshafts aren't adjustable. Some, like aftermarket CV driveshafts, simply have a built-in slip joint so its length can vary slightly as the suspension flexes up & down. To raise the rear pinion shaft to the correct angle to match the CV driveshaf'ts requirements, you'll need aftermarket adjustable length upper rear control arms.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
Driveshafts aren't adjustable. Some, like aftermarket CV driveshafts, simply have a built-in slip joint so its length can vary slightly as the suspension flexes up & down. To raise the rear pinion shaft to the correct angle to match the CV driveshaf'ts requirements, you'll need aftermarket adjustable length upper rear control arms.
Cool so it looks like sye cv n control arms. Piecing a lift together gets u better parts as some say but a lot of planning n that is y I am glad I have u fellow jeepers. Going to build this jeep the right way as all my others I did just enough to get by.

·
Registered
96 Posts
so i just had an Advance Adapters SYE and a tom woods drive shaft installed. i have a 4" pro comp lift that came with control arms, that are not adjustable. do i need to get the adjustable control arms? i have been driving like this for two weeks and dont seem to have a problem.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
leppich_italy said:
so i just had an Advance Adapters SYE and a tom woods drive shaft installed. i have a 4" pro comp lift that came with control arms, that are not adjustable. do i need to get the adjustable control arms? i have been driving like this for two weeks and dont seem to have a problem.
From all my research if those control arms came with the lift then they r sized correctly so u should be good.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
You could validate for peace of mind. Measure your rear driveshaft angle and compare it to your pinion angle, they ideally should be equal.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,630 Posts
From all my research if those control arms came with the lift then they r sized correctly so u should be good.
Not the case for the rear axle. The correct pinion angle is dependent on several factors including the driveshaft type, its length, and the suspension lift height. ProComp's arm lengths are set for a Jeep without a CV driveshaft. And ProComp shops install plenty of 4" lifts without SYE kits and CV driveshafts where they take stupid shortcuts like deep transfer case drops. When a customer instead chooses to go for the right solution and install a SYE and CV driveshaft, then they'll tell you that you then need adjustable length arms... often only after you get vibrations from them having installed the CV shaft without being able to get the pinion angle set. That is because to avoid giving the customer sticker-shock on the real expected final price and canceling the work, they instead break the bad news to their customers in stages.

All this is based on plenty of personal experience from when I worked for ProComp's parent company and made regular visits into my area's 4Wheel Parts stores.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
Not the case for the rear axle. The correct pinion angle is dependent on several factors including the driveshaft type, its length, and the suspension lift height. ProComp's arm lengths are set for a Jeep without a CV driveshaft. And ProComp shops install plenty of 4" lifts without SYE kits and CV driveshafts where they take stupid shortcuts like deep transfer case drops. When a customer instead chooses to go for the right solution and install a SYE and CV driveshaft, then they'll tell you that you then need adjustable length arms... often only after you get vibrations from them having installed the CV shaft without being able to get the pinion angle set. That is because to avoid giving the customer sticker-shock on the real expected final price and canceling the work, they instead break the bad news to their customers in stages.

All this is based on plenty of personal experience from when I worked for ProComp's parent company and made regular visits into my area's 4Wheel Parts stores.
Experience is best. Beats research. Lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts