Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm brand new to the forum here and just had a quick question about reviving my stock fender flares which over the last 10 years have acquired a touch of grey. I have heard that you can go over the flares with a heat gun to get back some of the original color. My question is..... Do you want to remove the flares when you do this? or can they be mounted? I don't want to bubble the paint and i'm not sure how hot these things get. Thanks for your input guys!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
For most flare treatments...heat, paint, etc....I would remove them. It's a slight hassle to remove all the screws, but it's not worth messing something else up.
The screw heads use an 8mm wrench and/or socket to remove.

I have found Krylon Fusion paint to work best (flat or satin).

My current set went from this:

To this: (using Krylon Fusion 'Satin')

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those look good.... But i'm not too sure I want to paint the flares. I will give the heat gun a shot and see how long it lasts and see how good it looks. If not then i'll probably hit them with the Krylon Fusion like you've suggested. So I think its split 50/50 here.... leave on or take off.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I did the heat gun trick and they turned out looking pretty good,but like posted above,it doesn't last long.Mine still look black but the white rock dings are coming back.Oh,I left mine on also.Just mind the body and you won't have any paint damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those look good. They get that dark with just the heat gun? My heat gun has two settings hot and hotter.... any particular method you used? just wave it over like a magic wand and its gone? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I tried the heat gun... and mine are now spotted. I did it slow and steady, but obviously I screwed it up.

I will be taking my flares off this summer and painting them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm gonna try the heat gun and then paint. I was told I'd need to scuff them up before I apply paint. Would I have to do that with the Krylon?
Hey weird question, slightly off topic, but do you know if it's possible to replace just the orange light cover? I chipped half of mine off and I don't want to buy a whole new flare set.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You don't need to take the flares off for the heat gun but if you paint em I wouldn't trust tape and paper lol I used the heat gun but my gun is really old and I don't think it gets hot enough cuz they faded right back and are all splochy now plan to paint them when I get the time

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm gonna try the heat gun and then paint. I was told I'd need to scuff them up before I apply paint. Would I have to do that with the Krylon?
Hey weird question, slightly off topic, but do you know if it's possible to replace just the orange light cover? I chipped half of mine off and I don't want to buy a whole new flare set.
you can buy individual replacement lights from here:
Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories & Jeep Soft Tops From The Jeep Parts Experts - Quadratec

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I tried the heat gun... and mine are now spotted. I did it slow and steady, but obviously I screwed it up.

I will be taking my flares off this summer and painting them.
I did the same thing but couldn't wait until summer. I painted mine this weekend. I think the cold weather had something to do with the spotting. Maybe it cooled too fast or I had to hold the heat too long to get it to blacken up?

Removing them was a pain and I'll leave them on for touchups. Of course of all the bolts that paired up with nutserts, the one that stripped was the one that is not accessible on the rear. Now I'm one nut short:eek:. Can't tell though.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
I painted mine with rustoleum flat black all purpose and they look great. I simply taped and papered off the whole jeep and stuck index cards between the body and the fender for easy removal and nice clean lines. Also the plastic had enough texture that the paint had no problem sticking without sanding the fenders. I'll try to find some pics.

Here is before

During

And after

I also ended up painting the milk jugs too

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
I would just take your jugs off.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Alright, I am compelled to ask and one of you "Mr. Wizard" types (of which I am a great fan - no sarcasm intended) hopefully respond .......... The heat gun (heat) does what to the polymers to have the restorative effect?

Thanks in advance for any response!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts