Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm almost certainly going to keep the stock wheels for the life of the vehicle and I'm not going past 33" tires, more likely I'll stay at 32". It's important to me that I have a safe and reliable daily rider but I want to balance that with the ability to go off road confidently. I grew up in the swamp and so have come to love the arid climate of West Texas so not going to want to do much woodsy, muddy off roading. Its a long drive for me to get where I want though so I can't build a dedicated desert crawler, it's going to have to be able to ride the roads in between without getting all squirrelly on me.

My point in all this is my future plans include a suspension modification that will allow me to get the most out of my Jeeps off road capabilities and still keeping a low center of gravity and every day reliability/driveability. I've been reading about lifts and everything that goes along with them for hours and hours and I think I've found a kit that will work for me. Even though I'm planning this for six months to a year from now, need to spend some time off road with it stock, my curiosity is impatient and wants answers now.

So this is what I am currently thinking will be my choice

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/omejks-ultimate-jk-hybrid-kit/

I'm going for the light weight 2" lift springs/shocks. Does this look to your more experienced eyes like a kit that aligns with my goals? Is there anything missing from it that I need to account for a 2-3" change in geometry and really put together a solid, every day no compromise suspension? Money isn't an issue, all that affects is how long it takes before I start, but also don't want to spend more than I have to without cutting corners. I'm not looking for the best parts to upgrade my Jeep, just what gets the most out of what's already there if that makes sense. If it doesn't let me know, just here to learn.

·
Super Moderator
15,369 Posts
No reason to lift if you're not increasing tire size.
You could upgrade steering parts (drag link, tie rod), ball joints and add some quick discos in case you end up on more difficult terrain. Recovery gear is a great investment as well.

Steersmarts make excellent upgraded tie rods and drag links for the JK. As far as shocks I'm really happy with the Teraflex Falcon 3.3 shocks I installed several months back to replace my FOX 2.0.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I was under the impression that a modest lift would give better articulation if done right and sticking with the same size tires would retain torque and braking power so that's why it seemed like a good idea to me. I'm going to look into those parts right now though, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
What I see right of the bat is that this kit does not come with any means to correct front axle geometry. At a minimum you will need to add lower front control arms or geo brackets.

But I agree with Baby Blue Sound if you are not going to go to larger tires you really don't need a lift.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If you're taking your Jeep off road, the lift will give you more clearance and reduce scraping over obstacles and give you better approach/break-over/departure angles regardless of which tires you put on it.

Anyone that thinks a lift is just to make room for bigger tires has clearly never scraped across rocks and trees on even mild off-road adventures.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
What model Wrangler do you have? Sport/Sahara or Rubicon?

Totally agree with BBS & others, if you are only going 33 max tire size no lift is required, but depending on whether or not you have a Rubicon, I'd recommend other mods over a lift if you want to feel more 'confident' wheeling.

If you have a Rubicon, I'd focus on some good armor/skids and just go out & wheel. If you're goals are more prerunner/desert running you prolly didn't need a rubi but if you got one go out & have fun & maybe focus more on shocks & tires to dial in your ride.

If you have a non-Rubi you might want to at least invest in a air locking differential for the rear. This would still come In handy in low traction situations (deep sand/mud) even if rock crawling isn't your goal.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a"17 Willy that I plan to put a Currie front sway bar on and am looking at some hopefully modest upgrades to the suspension, ball joints and front axle inner sleeve tube, skid plates and bumper. It might be a while before I get everything together, grab my tools and head to my friend's, with the car lift, place to put it all in but in the meantime I like having a plan, some idea of cost and plenty of time to research and think everything out. I don't want the ultimate purpose built crawler, just something solid for everyday driving that I can also take out wheeling. Ik kinda like the idea of a stock appearance but more capable than it looks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly, I'm looking for a solid 2" lift done right that won't turn to a 4" after install and screw everything up. Any ideas on a complete kit would be helpful.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Garritynet
I'm in the process if installing a 2"~2.5" lift myself. I do mild off roading by Arizona standards but get suckered in to going on an 'easy run' with the local jeep club and then get to hear/feel the screeches and thumps as my Willys low-rider bottoms out. :(
Read this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2-lift-suggestions-2109737.html
Then PM rsmwrangler and @Pressurized for follow up information if you want. They have both helped me with the choices for my 2" frankenlift.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Exactly, I'm looking for a solid 2" lift done right that won't turn to a 4" after install and screw everything up. Any ideas on a complete kit would be helpful.
I am not really aware of any 2 inch lifts that are really complete. At this height most fall into spacer lift or small spring using your stock control arms and standard type shocks. If you are really looking for max articulation you need to move up to something like this:

https://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Game-Changer-Suspension-Rocksport-Edition-p/7131.htm

If that is to much money you can do it in stages buy getting this and adding the rest of the control arms at a later date:

https://www.metalcloak.com/product-p/7127.htm

We only have one vehicle and have been running the 6-pak version of this lift for 2 years and it is as comfortable on road as it is off. I have been all over the country in this vehicle coast to coast and north to south and while it is not a Cadillac it just fine for our needs. And neither the wife or myself are young anymore.

·
Super Moderator
14,525 Posts
What I see right of the bat is that this kit does not come with any means to correct front axle geometry. At a minimum you will need to add lower front control arms or geo brackets.

But I agree with Baby Blue Sound if you are not going to go to larger tires you really don't need a lift.
That kit uses the standard OME cam washers... Theirs is the best design out there, but it's still cam washers with the hole poked in the control arm mount.

But as everyone has said... Staying with 32's or even 33's, go with a 1.5 leveling kit. If "more" suspension travel is what you are after, look at the Rock Krawler 1.5 kits if you have a 4dr. Mild height, MUCH bigger articulation.

One of our vendors like @AOR could put a kit with shocks and bump stops together for you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2dr Willy.

Ok about to read a thread and send out some messages to a few vendors and members for some specialized advice. I was communicating with a local shop and they suggested a Teraflex 2.5 lift with Blisteins for a little over $1200 installed and another hundred-ish if I go for Fox 2.0 shocks. If I had those installed with geometry correction brackets and a new transfer bar would that be a good lift that would drive well without causing issues later on down the line?

The game changer looks fantastic but it's just outside the scope of my goals. If I can spend up to $1500 getting more out of the suspension without sacrificing the longevity or on road drivability of the vehicle that would be fantastic but I don't want to start rebuild the Jeep into something else. I'm not looking for the ultimate off roader, just seeing if I can make the most out of what's already there if it's not too expensive. I don't mind running stock if the only way to do it right is to spend 3-4k including professional installation.

Strengthening the front axle with the TeraFlex sleeve and gussets kit for a couple hundred bucks, the Currie sway bar for less than $500, a new more robust front bumper and making sure the undercarriage is protected I'm pretty confident about as far as cost/benefit goes. If I missing something or making some sort of rookie mistake here too, feel free to let me know.

·
Vendor
5,579 Posts
I have a 2dr Willy.

Ok about to read a thread and send out some messages to a few vendors and members for some specialized advice. I was communicating with a local shop and they suggested a Teraflex 2.5 lift with Blisteins for a little over $1200 installed and another hundred-ish if I go for Fox 2.0 shocks. If I had those installed with geometry correction brackets and a new transfer bar would that be a good lift that would drive well without causing issues later on down the line?

The game changer looks fantastic but it's just outside the scope of my goals. If I can spend up to $1500 getting more out of the suspension without sacrificing the longevity or on road drivability of the vehicle that would be fantastic but I don't want to start rebuild the Jeep into something else. I'm not looking for the ultimate off roader, just seeing if I can make the most out of what's already there if it's not too expensive. I don't mind running stock if the only way to do it right is to spend 3-4k including professional installation.

Strengthening the front axle with the TeraFlex sleeve and gussets kit for a couple hundred bucks, the Currie sway bar for less than $500, a new more robust front bumper and making sure the undercarriage is protected I'm pretty confident about as far as cost/benefit goes. If I missing something or making some sort of rookie mistake here too, feel free to let me know.
Thank you @Pressurized for the mention. Sticking to 2" or less makes since if you are not going to go over 33-34" tires. Rancho has really done right with the new progressive 2" Sport kit with springs. Get the 2 dr kit with 5000X shocks and throw on some adjustable Core 4x4 Tier Two arms then go wheel it. See what you need if anything. If you want the adjustability on the shocks get the 9000XL kit. Both can be seen here. Core arms click the link above. Quite a few members believe in running more caster on the 2 dr than brackets can provide you. Also, the progressive coils will hold the weight of the new bumper without much sag.

If you would like to chat about a total package within your design/needs and budget, shoot me a PM.

Namaste,

Allen

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, that seems really reasonably priced. I had just convinced myself that I wasn't going to do a lift and concentrate on other areas for modification. After a lot of reading and asking questions I have decided to get a Truetrac limited slip installed in the front for when I go on the trails, the Willy already has a LSD in the back. I'm also looking at a new bumper with a modest but capable winch inside hopefully hidden completely if I can manage it. That, some new ball joints, undercarriage protection and possibly some reinforcement of the front axle are the limits of my plans. I think I'm going to leave everything else stock and just try to go out as much as possible. That lift does look extremely tempting and maybe at a later date when I have some money burning a hole in my pocket I'll revisit it.

·
Vendor
5,579 Posts
Thank you, that seems really reasonably priced. I had just convinced myself that I wasn't going to do a lift and concentrate on other areas for modification. After a lot of reading and asking questions I have decided to get a Truetrac limited slip installed in the front for when I go on the trails, the Willy already has a LSD in the back. I'm also looking at a new bumper with a modest but capable winch inside hopefully hidden completely if I can manage it. That, some new ball joints, undercarriage protection and possibly some reinforcement of the front axle are the limits of my plans. I think I'm going to leave everything else stock and just try to go out as much as possible. That lift does look extremely tempting and maybe at a later date when I have some money burning a hole in my pocket I'll revisit it.
Sounds like a solid plan. Check out the SR9S from Engo here. Great winch that is lighter weight with synathetic line. Nice price as well. Let me know if I can help with anything else in your build plan.

Allen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts