Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my JK for 2 weeks and want to practice dropping the top and getting it back up again. Need some honest imput: how long does it take to drop and when in a hurry, get it back up? Also, the instructions state to take out the side and back windows prior to dropping and even remove the window rails. True? Unlike the Mustang where I press a button, I want to be sure I'm going the right way with the JK top. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mines 1 week old and I haven't taken the top down yet either. I did go to YouTube. There are several great videos there that show you exactly how to do it..

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Yep, take the side and rear windows before lowering or raising.

As for time, never clocked it but I'd guess 2 min down, 4 min up including windows.

Putting the top down is easy, I take a little extre time to fold the top neatly when putting it down, some don't. I just don't like it sitting up high behind me.

I find folding the whole top toward the front to get the latches seated makes it easier when your by yourself.
Getting the top clipped in around the front door frames takes a little practice but it's easy once you get the method. They wrap all the way around the plastic bars.

Pull the back corners down tight and clip it in before you try to put the windows back in.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
A trick that really helps to put the top back up is to stand on the hitch or in the rear cargo area. Do you have a 2 or 4 door? This video is for a 4, but the principles are the same. It's one of the best I've seen. It should help.

Official Airpark 2010 JK soft top video - YouTube

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just takes a few minutes once you have the hang of it. I'm not too cautious though (I'm also one of those guys that rolls up his rear curtain despite the inevitable scratching). As for rails and such, you do have to remove the side curtains but that is all I ever remove when taking the top up or down.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've had both soft and hard tops.

The soft top takes longer if you fold it right (about 90% don't).

I can take my hard top off quicker alone w/out straining as I always did w/the soft top.

Double sided velcro is your friend to hold the folded top it in place.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I can take it off or put it back on in like 5 minutes, but I've never actually timed it. To get it back on by myself I have to climb in it to get the top to flip back up (like Tom said), with two people it's no problem. Never had to do that in my TJ's.

The first time I put it back on the stupid sunrider clips slipped out of place and it took me like 10 minutes to figure out they weren't right, get it undone & all back together again. It's probably just me but I have NO use for the sunrider...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, and Tom, the video was very informative.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
hmmm interesting. Im never taken the size or rear windows down when iv lowered the top on my TJ. I guess a little crease doesnt bother me enough. Maybe ill take the side ones out when I bother to mess with the soft top in the warmer months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts