Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,619 Posts
If you're eating them then my recommendation would be to ditch the 30 for a 60.
Other than that, I haven't had much luck with the parts store unit bearings. I've had better luck with the Spicer ones.
Of course I read that they're all made in the same place, who knows.

·
Super Moderator
6,199 Posts
What size tires?
I replaced ours with name brand bearings. They originals weren't bad, but since I was taking it that far apart to install axle shafts I figured I might as well replace the bearings while I was in there. Nothing special about the bearings I used. And they are still good some 30,000 miles later. And we are running 37's. Keep in mind the D30 and D44 use the same wheel bearings as I recall. So you should be good with up to 35" tires with the D30 wheel bearings. And some, like us, run 37's with those wheel bearings. We wheel fairly hard, but not extreme.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
What size tires and what is the wheel offset. any spacers?

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
I use nothing but Mopar or Timken bearings. No issues with them when running 37” Pitbulls. My last set of Timkens lasted 152,000klm (95,000mi).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What size tires?
I replaced ours with name brand bearings. They originals weren't bad, but since I was taking it that far apart to install axle shafts I figured I might as well replace the bearings while I was in there. Nothing special about the bearings I used. And they are still good some 30,000 miles later. And we are running 37's. Keep in mind the D30 and D44 use the same wheel bearings as I recall. So you should be good with up to 35" tires with the D30 wheel bearings. And some, like us, run 37's with those wheel bearings. We wheel fairly hard, but not extreme.
35's
What size tires and what is the wheel offset. any spacers?
35" wheel offset is -38 no spacers
I use nothing but Mopar or Timken bearings. No issues with them when running 37” Pitbulls. My last set of Timkens lasted 152,000klm (95,000mi).
I read the timken studs are not flared out like factory according to many amazon reviews. This worries me from buying those. I also heard the wheel speed sensor is not long enough @JTPhoto JK

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
I read the timken studs are not flared out like factory according to many amazon reviews. This worries me from buying those. I also heard the wheel speed sensor is not long enough @JTPhoto JK
If the wheel speed sensor isn’t long enough that person ordered for the wrong year. Newer JKs have a longer wire. As for studs, I Have never had an issue with Timken wheel studs.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I ran a couple of sets of Timkens that lasted maybe 20k miles with 37s. I’m running MOPAR (made by Iljin) now. We will see how those do.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
There was research done on this some time ago. There is only one manufacturer for ALL the unit bearings. However, they do produce different quality levels for different buyers. Mopar, Timken and SKF are top tier.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was research done on this some time ago. There is only one manufacturer for ALL the unit bearings. However, they do produce different quality levels for different buyers. Mopar, Timken and SKF are top tier.

O nice. I'm surprised no aftermarket alternatives have been made for stronger wheel bearings under $250 each though

·
Registered
464 Posts
O nice. I'm surprised no aftermarket alternatives have been made for stronger wheel bearings under $250 each though
Another reason I won't sell my lifetime warranty back to FCA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts