Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 wrangler X unlimited 4 door. It has all manual controls in the doors. window cranks and door locks. I wanted to install ghost lights AKA courtesy lights that go in the bottom of the doors and shine down on the ground at night. So when I pulled the door panel off I found two wires that are unplugged when you take the door off. They run all the way over to the latch on the door but I can't see where it actually connects with out taking out the window and regulator. So I assumed it was the dome light wires that tell the light that the door is open. I thought that would be perfect to wire the 12 volt LED lights to and they would come on when the door opens and go off when closed. Didn't happen that way. Does anyone know what those two wires are for? if not the light and how can I Get power to the lights from the dome light. Where can I find the wires with out going to the top of the jeep? Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone else done this yet? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
The door open sensor wires are not powered. They are can bus signal wires which sends a signal to the computer vis can bus communications which in turn controls the dome light. If your doors are all manual then you have no power available inside them for lighting.

Now you *MAY* find a lighting wire at the plug where the door plugs in at the footwell. It's an orange wire with gray stripe at the plug to supply lighting power to powered doors. You will have to carry that on into the door (if available).

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If you search here for "rock lights" you will find a lot of info. Most Jeep owners use that term as they use them for off roading at night as well as courtsey lights.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know where to find the switch fo the dome light. I’m thinking I need to find that to wire my lights into it

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Does anyone know where to find the switch fo the dome light. I’m thinking I need to find that to wire my lights into it

I believe even with the 2007 it's not a simple switch... on/off situation. The switch itself is located inside the door on the handle mechanism itself, but as with the later model jeeps, the switch sends a can bus signal to the tipm which in turn, turns the light on/off.

Your best (and safest) bet is to run a relay off the actual dome light wires and then run the lights off the relay. If the amperage isn't big on the aftermarket lights, you might even be able to skip the relay and wire the lights directly to the dome light, but a relay is safer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if I wire one lead to one of the door wires and the other lead to a 12 volt hot wire with a fuse... that should do it? Im learning the whole wiring thing. Im not totally dumb on it but sometimes I don't see the obvious. Thanks for your help on this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I ran a hot from the battery and connected to the door ground. That didn't work since they are on all the time. So I guess Im gonna have to find the wire that goes to the dome light itself. I didn't see an orange wire with gray stripe. I did find the bundle that runs to the back. I just need to isolate that correct wire I guess. Could I be on the wrong wire attached to the door?

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Well I ran a hot from the battery and connected to the door ground. That didn't work since they are on all the time. So I guess Im gonna have to find the wire that goes to the dome light itself. I didn't see an orange wire with gray stripe. I did find the bundle that runs to the back. I just need to isolate that correct wire I guess. Could I be on the wrong wire attached to the door?

I believe the ground is switched and the power is constant on the dome lights, so you need to use the dome light hot and ground, not chassis ground.

·
Administrator
16,989 Posts
The last time I did that mod I tapped into the small LED under the dash to trigger the relay. There are 2 small LEDs on a board, one stays on with the headlights, the other with the doors. It's been a while and I don't remember which is which.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I will look for both next time I get a chance to work on it. I know the wire has to go to the sound bar somehow. I will dig into it next time. I didn't see any LEDs under the dash but I will look and see what I can find. Thanks again. hopefully next time I will have picks to show you that it worked. lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well I finally figured it out. I had to find the wire in the top of the sound bar and then look for it in the kick panel on the passenger side. You guys were right I had to tap into the wire going to the light. Thanks for your help. my $20 light kit finally works. Thanks again/Users/leefalk/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Mail Downloads/1375F711-708C-4D85-A71D-28E3AD0A4060/IMG_6030.JPG

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
This is a pic of what my ghost lights look like. Thanks again for the help. I hope this loads. lol.
lookin good, not sure if I would keep them at that angle, but I get OCD about making things look a certain way :D:blackeye

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah that's on the list of things to do. I want to get them lined up With the body not the door. I installed them off the jeep to start with and didn't line it up right. I have to get the door panels off again but I ran out of time last night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts