Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm a really big fan of the new Gladiator. I'd like to own one but I just don't think it would like to drag my 24' box trailer full of ATV's around. I've been looking at them online anyway and I came up with this comparison today (see attachment). Those are at the same local dealer. Makes the Gladiator a really hard sell in my opinion.

$1300 more for a Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel. A real hard sell indeed. Anyway I'll be sticking with my old Ford for awhile anyway.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,487 Posts
If looking to do truck things I agree its a hard sell, and then add in the ram discounts they are doing right now.. I think if you need a truck for work, hualing stuff towing.. RAM.. if you need something that you will use to put stuff it the back for camping, maybe some minor towing and want to get off the beatin path more, then Gladiator.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Id hands down go for the Ram, I think the JT is neat but not worth the expense. id be more in line to cross-shop a JT with a Tacoma. but then again I will never own a JL solely due to price

·
Registered
131 Posts
Price comparison works North of the boarder as well. Prices are in Canadian dollars.....just multiply .75 cents to get US pricing.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I've been driving my brother's 5.0 F-150 the past few weeks. I love it. I can see why people are buying pickups! I'd take a RAM over a Gladiator any day. I think.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It's only a hard sell if you're planning to keep this truck until it falls apart.

If resale value may ever become an issue a few years down the road, the Gladiator is a far better purchase because the Ram won't be worth anything. That's why the banks are projecting the Gladiator at 70% retained value at 4 years, vs. 52% on the Ram. That's also why everybody is leasing Gladiators....the payments are so low due to the fact they don't hardly depreciate at all.

However, if you're keeping the truck forever, then resale doesn't matter and the Ram would certainly tow the trailer much easier.

·
Registered
632 Posts
drag my 24' box trailer full of ATV's around.
Done deal.
Buy a real truck.
260 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm and ~7600lbs tow capacity... going to be a pretty busy tiring deal...
vs
650 pound-feet by 1500rpm and depending on options over 900 lb/ft when needed... and ~18,000lbs tow capacity... oh ya, that trailer back there...

no brain'r in my book.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Do you want a Jeep or do you want a truck? Ram it is then.

Reactions: Blanka

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
A Ram with the diesel will do everything better than the JT except off road ability. You can put the JT in the trailer and the Ram will tow it better than the JT with just the trailer. The Ram is quieter, better MPG, longer range, better ride, and probably resale just as good with the diesel. I know, I have a 2014 Ram diesel 2500 4x4 Laramie loaded and it totally rocks my 8K pound TT all over the pacific northwest. My 2014 JKUR is just a toy compared to it. For towing, the Ram and the JT are not even on the same page. Even the Ram 1500 will out tow the JT.

Reactions: Blanka and Lemotan

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Just curious how the JT's ride? I haven't heard yet, is the ride similar to the JK or more like a truck. Trucks these days have a better ride then most cars I grew up in.....

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would not touch a Ram classic with a 10’ pole - I traded my 17 1500 Hemi Ram for a JK. The known (yes they will happen) Hemi lifter issues made it a no brainer for me. The new Ram is nice, no interest in them.

I have always hated IFS 4x4 trucks, prefer SFA - staying JK/JL/JT.

The Cummins is an excellent engine, but the extra expense of it make owning one not worth it for me.

I love my JK, but if it needs replacing, a JT will get a hard look. Or a JK/JL and a Southern GM squarebody.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It's only a hard sell if you're planning to keep this truck until it falls apart.

If resale value may ever become an issue a few years down the road, the Gladiator is a far better purchase because the Ram won't be worth anything. That's why the banks are projecting the Gladiator at 70% retained value at 4 years, vs. 52% on the Ram. That's also why everybody is leasing Gladiators....the payments are so low due to the fact they don't hardly depreciate at all.

Really the Ram is a TRUCK the Gladiator is a Jeep . The Ram in four years will be worth more with the average miles 50,000 . Looking at 52% back no way in four years the ram will still be a 35,000 or 40,000 real; truck .

·
Registered
196 Posts
Resale on the CTD ram is excellent! I just got rid on my 2012 CTD and got 75% of what I paid for it.
I love my JK but I have a 2500 for the real work. The Gladiator is neat but if you are doing any heavy hauling it is way to small. If you are heading to Lowes for drywall and some 2x4's, pulling an ATV or stuff like that it is fine. Now it will kick my 2500's butt off road, but then that is why I have a 2dr JK...

·
Registered
149 Posts
The RAM is a real truck. The Gladiator is a crossover that closely resembles a truck.

Hook some real weight to that Gladiator and it'll break everything from the fan back.

I'm a Jeep guy but if you want a truck buy a truck.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
The RAM is a real truck. The Gladiator is a crossover that closely resembles a truck.

Hook some real weight to that Gladiator and it'll break everything from the fan back.

I'm a Jeep guy but if you want a truck buy a truck.
This is 100% untrue.

But, just for kicks and giggles, please do explain what qualifies a truck as a "real truck".

I've towed maximum weight with everything from a Jeep Liberty to a F-350 dually with the diesel engine. I can tell you for a fact that the Jeep Gladiator is definitely a real truck. It handles maximum towing like a champ. It even gets better MPG with 3.5 tons on the back than any full size truck I've ever owned.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is 100% untrue.

But, just for kicks and giggles, please do explain what qualifies a truck as a "real truck".

I've towed maximum weight with everything from a Jeep Liberty to a F-350 dually with the diesel engine. I can tell you for a fact that the Jeep Gladiator is definitely a real truck. It handles maximum towing like a champ. It even gets better MPG with 3.5 tons on the back than any full size truck I've ever owned.
A whole 7,000 pounds! And the best gas mileage ever!? Fantastic!

/Golfclap

Come hook that thing to my hydrovac full of water. Tell yourself whatever it takes to help you sleep at night, you didn't buy a real truck. I've owned a Commander and a Grand Cherokee that towed more than the JT. They weren't trucks either.

So, as someone said. They're great for some drywall, or maybe a load of yoga mats. And as I said, hook some real weight onto that thing and it'll break in four pieces.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
For me a personal, non commercial truck is a vehicle that's primarily used for hauling and towing. (Regular cab & 8 foot bed).

I was doing some renovations the other day. I ran down to Lowe's and got some drywall. I slid two 4ft x 8ft sheets in the bed of my old F-150... Then I slammed the gate shut. You certainly can't do this with a Gladiator... (Or most of the trucks on the road today for that matter).

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're going to CONSTANTLY be towing or hauling, get the Ram. If you're going to occasionally haul, or tow lighter loads under the max tow rating and want something that will play better off road than a full size, get the JT. I own a full size pickup because I have a 5th wheel, and have horses. I tow heavy loads every once in a while, and drag my travel trailer around with my pickup. My JT gets used for occasional loads, some light towing, and otherwise is a commuter/weekend warrior. It is a pickup of convenience. If you need to do TRUCK stuff every day, get a new TRUCK. if you need to do TRUCK stuff occasionally, get the JT and a cheap beater used 3/4 ton pickup.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts