Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
12,512 Posts
Could be a v8 but doubt that. I would ask why are the rear windows covered? Which then makes me think, hm what is back there? test equipment? OR perhaps this is a test mule for an all electric wrangler and the battery pack in the entire rear seat?

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
seems like it has a different muffler/tailpipe even tho the article says no. I have not looked at one close enough in person to know for sure but I am sure one who has would know.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

Reactions: bill61

·
Registered
389 Posts
would a Dodge Dakota be considered mid sized? Because mine had a v8. (Referring to the article)

Regardless, you guys just hate getting decent gas mileage :D

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
would a Dodge Dakota be considered mid sized? Because mine had a v8. (Referring to the article)

Regardless, you guys just hate getting decent gas mileage :D
the article said current. Dakotas were last produced about 8 or 9 years ago or so.

·
Registered
389 Posts
the article said current. Dakotas were last produced about 8 or 9 years ago or so.
Oh gotcha. Just woke up so my reading comprehension isnt up to par yet :D

I love me some v8s though...Driven one for the past 9 years. :drinks:

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Frosty the Snowman will survive summer in hell before Jeep ever makes a factory V8 Wrangler/Gladiator again. The reasons, as summarized by former Jeep engineers, are many.

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
Frosty the Snowman will survive summer in hell before Jeep ever makes a factory V8 Wrangler/Gladiator again. The reasons, as summarized by former Jeep engineers, are many.
Agreed. C-pillar forward is shared with JL, which means no factory V8 is coming.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Agreed. C-pillar forward is shared with JL, ...

Not really. To get the tow rating up, there are front end differences to allow for greater cooling over that on a JL

Though, I guess that extra cooling could go to a V8, but I am sure there would be one major growl if a V8 and the Tow Pkg were mutually exclusive.

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
Not really. To get the tow rating up, there are front end differences to allow for greater cooling over that on a JL

Though, I guess that extra cooling could go to a V8, but I am sure there would be one major growl if a V8 and the Tow Pkg were mutually exclusive.
The front end differences are minimal and the changes for cooling are tacked on. JL and JT front end physical dimensions are the same.

the bigger fan, the big grille openings, and the optimization of heat rejection up the grade via the axle ratio and tire size. Together, those were key parts of getting the Jeep Gladiator the highest tow rating of a gas truck in the mid-size segment
https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Yeah, doubt it. I'd even go so far as to guess that if there is a V8 stuffed in there, its because they're using it as a test bed for the upcoming Dakota.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would love the Gladiator with a small V8. Does not have to be the 5.7 hemi, something like the old 4.7 with modern design to boost the hp and torque, especially at the low end. Would like to have the Gladiator for towing a small camper, but based on my JKU, I don't think the Gladiator is really up to it, regardless of its rating, except for the smallest campers. Mind you, I don't expect it to tow a 34' toy hauler. Just a [email protected] 400 with enough grunt to get up mountains at something more than 40 MPH.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would love the Gladiator with a small V8. Does not have to be the 5.7 hemi, something like the old 4.7 with modern design to boost the hp and torque, especially at the low end. Would like to have the Gladiator for towing a small camper, but based on my JKU, I don't think the Gladiator is really up to it, regardless of its rating, except for the smallest campers. Mind you, I don't expect it to tow a 34' toy hauler. Just a [email protected] 400 with enough grunt to get up mountains at something more than 40 MPH.
Ignore this, put the 5.7 in it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts