Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the GM Optispark equipped engines make poor donors for Jeeps that go off road, but the donors are plentiful, and I see there are conversions out there to coil on plug.

How waterproof are the Optispark ignition setups, I have heard nightmares about water intrusion, and water crossings.

How are the conversions (Coil on plug)? and are they any better with water?

Is there another option? Im trying to get a 5.7 into my YJ, but in Cali a full size truck engine doesnt seem to work because of some vehicle weight classification. which as a Cali smog tech sounds like horse$#!+ to me, but I dont want to get a Vortec 5.7L from a 96 Tahoe into it to find out i have to pull it again (Recently happened to a guy in Concord with a 5.3L Tahoe motor.).

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The tuck motors and Passenger car motors are different, I might end up using a 4.3 from an S-10, or a 5.3 from a rare Trailblazer SS (as rare as a Corvette, which is more like the truck motors.

Basically, ther mojority of the passenger cars form that ear were NOT the Vortec poppet injector 4.3/5.0/5.7L I was after, and to go up to the 5.3L Id have to use a Camaro engine. The truck engines are MUCH more available.

I guess I could try to convince them a truck motor was from a Camaro, just change the plenum covers.....

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Different than ford eh....that sucks
Not necessarily different, GM has like ONE full size car that uses the same engine, the Camaro, the Corvette is notable different, so both are rare, and harder to come by them trucks, now thats the 5.3, looking at the 96-00, the poppet injector engines were not used in passenger cars, they use the Optispark ( an offshoot from the old TPI engines) equipped engines up till the 4.8/5.3L was released. with the Poppet injector Vortec engines in the Trucks.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I wouldn't touch an opti-spark motor if I could help it. I'd go with a V6 before I did that.

Can you not go with an LS1 out of a Camaro instead? Those should be easier to find.

Sorry you're stuck with limited options where you live.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yeah, I had to replace 2 optispark units in my old LT1 Camaro, and I certainly wasn't doing stream crossings in it. I'd steer clear if I was you. Like derf said, if you could find a donor LS1, you'd be MUCH happier about it. The later optisparks had the vacuum hook-ups to get moisture out, and they're better, but they're still not good.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thank you. I was thinkign I could snag a cheap old 96-99 Caprice or Camaro, but i think ill wait and find a wrecked 00+ Camaro or firechicken with the 5.3.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Optispark is allergic to water. You can kill one just by washing the engine, let alone diving off into a mudhole.

There are several LTCC conversions out there. Here's a link to just one of them... Bailey LTCC setup

I'm sure you'll find more LTCC options by searching the F-body & Impala forums, I've just never had the need to read up on them in detail.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well, thank you. I was thinkign I could snag a cheap old 96-99 Caprice or Camaro, but i think ill wait and find a wrecked 00+ Camaro or firechicken with the 5.3.
Also, 5.3L is a truck engine. All the Camaro and Firebird V8s from 1998 to 2002 were the 5.7L (346 cubic inch) LS1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts