Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that you experience jeep guys are going to laugh at me. lol. My 1990 YJ has a gm key in which does not open my door only works for the ignition. Was that factory and if so what is the history on that. Its obviously not harming anything, just found it kinda curious. I appreciate this forum and all the people involved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you asking why its odd that there are 2 keys, one for the door, and one for the ignition?

If so, I've wondered this myself before.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Are you asking why its odd that there are 2 keys, one for the door, and one for the ignition?

If so, I've wondered this myself before.
?????? My 94 has one key for both? Possibly the ignition on yours has been changed hence the second key?

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
I had a 1990 YJ with 2 seperate keys (AMC keys) and also had a 1991 YJ with only one key (Chrysler keys). I think they had 2 keys until the 1991 model year.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
My 92 XJ has a GM ignition(replaced after it was stolen) and the regular door key is a Chrysler. And my mothers 99 XJ key will open up the doors on my '92 :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
For you young pups, most cars had seperate keys for the doors and ignition "back in the day." The square shaped keys were for the ignition and the round ones were for the doors. If you go back further than steering lock ignitions, the GM ignition keys were 8 sided.

You do know that there were cars built before steering column locks don't you? :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
For you young pups, most cars had separate keys for the doors and ignition "back in the day."

You do know that there were cars built before steering column locks don't you? :D
Hutch, I have heard about those. I think they were called Horse & Buggies! :punk:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts