Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the Midland radio site and they are having a 20% off sale for Cyber Monday.
The promo code is CM20.
I have a couple friends that are using the MTX115 GRMS radios and they are pretty impressive. They were getting radio checks from 10-15 miles away when they were in the mountains wheeling. I am going to switch over to a GMRS radio.
I thought I would let you know about the sale, since our CB radios suck.
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Igoo65

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Tossed the idea around of using grms. I dont know of anyone else using one though. My antenna mount does have an open spot for another antenna.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tossed the idea around of using grms. I dont know of anyone else using one though. My antenna mount does have an open spot for another antenna.
I am going to run both a GRMS and my CB for the time being. A few of the guys that I run with are going to the GRMS because when we are on the trail no one can hear each other unless we are right on top of each other. The GRMS is small enough that I can mount it to my CB and it won't be in the way.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I just bought the mxt 105 as did another friend and another got the 40 watt. We can talk to each other the with the 40watt one lives at least 8 miles from me as crow flies with a mountain in the way and probably 12 miles from the other guy. It's crazy how well and clear even thru the city. Licenses took a couple days

Reactions: Igoo65

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I need to get a license :(

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I need to get a license :(
it is a simple process just pay $70 for 10 years. As somebody who has really hated how worthless cb's generally are I think it is well worth $70 to have great reception for miles. The MXT 105 is about the size of your cell phone so easy to mount.

Reactions: tworley

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is a simple process just pay $70 for 10 years. As somebody who has really hated how worthless cb's generally are I think it is well worth $70 to have great reception for miles. The MXT 105 is about the size of your cell phone so easy to mount. View attachment 4466152
I was told you didn't need a license for these?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I was told you didn't need a license for these?
you were told wrong, you do for gmrs...and apparently they are cracking down. FRS does not need it but if your FRS radio is capable of GMRS you need to be licensed.

From Midlands web page..

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Some frequencies cross over between gmrs and frs. the frs frequencies you dont need a license to use but if you are transmitting from a gmrs radio you need a license to be legal. you can legally use a gmrs radio without a license if you are only receiving but as soon as you key up to transmit legally you need it.
i was driving home from the trails on day and heard a conversation from about 100 miles away. now i dont know if they were hitting a repeater but they were transmitting from up in a mountainous area and i was down in lower elevations with not much in between. either way it was coming in clear.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
One thing I don’t understand. Both HAM and GRMS use repeaters, correct? Said repeaters are also privately owned and a user is supposed to request access to a repeater. Is there a published list of repeaters and their owners in an area?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
One thing I don’t understand. Both HAM and GRMS use repeaters, correct? Said repeaters are also privately owned and a user is supposed to request access to a repeater. Is there a published list of repeaters and their owners in an area?
Yes. There are several websites with maps that show where the repeaters are.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
I was on the Midland radio site and they are having a 20% off sale for Cyber Monday.
The promo code is CM20.
I have a couple friends that are using the MTX115 GRMS radios and they are pretty impressive. They were getting radio checks from 10-15 miles away when they were in the mountains wheeling. I am going to switch over to a GMRS radio.
I thought I would let you know about the sale, since our CB radios suck.
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Igoo65
Thanks for the heads up! I just got me the MXT275. With the promo code this was the best price I've found. We will be using both the GRMS and the CB.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
FYI - go to the FCC website and don’t print the 30 page application. Get your FRN first, go to the ULS payment screen and then make out the application online in about two minutes. I have 30 pages of wasted paper scattered around the table now :( But, I have a temporary license number, my credit card has $70 on it and a license should be on the way.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
FYI - go to the FCC website and don’t print the 30 page application. Get your FRN first, go to the ULS payment screen and then make out the application online in about two minutes. I have 30 pages of wasted paper scattered around the table now :( But, I have a temporary license number, my credit card has $70 on it and a license should be on the way.
It is quick, 3 of us just got licenses and all came within 2 days.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
It is quick, 3 of us just got licenses and all came within 2 days.
My license came today. Very efficient for government work.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Just returned from Moab last night. The midland mxt105's worked awesome. Never will i go back to a cb. Never once was there a communication issue or others on our channel (used a private channel) and we were a mile apart on much of the White rim trail. hard to believe a radio the size of a cell phone and 6" antenna would do so well.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I’m supposed to be buying a used 115 and 275 today. Both are in good condition and the price seems great. If I get them, the Baofeng’s will be stowed for emergency use.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
MyGMRS.com is one such site for a starter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts