Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's the line between adventure and stupidity?

Have you ever wheeled alone, or are you one of those people who always has a group?

I go offroading by myself all the time. In places where bad weather comes up quickly, where people have fallen off the mountain. I'm not sure it's a smart thing to do, but yet...

I also have years of experience (not bragging so much as just saying I'm old). I have gear, and I've done enough camping and survival training to not be too worried about the worst-case consequences.

I also totally accept the consequences for my actions. I'm totally willing to do something stupid, and then say "yep, that was dumb." I don't need others to tell me that. I took a risk and suffered the results of it. Can't we still do that today?

Opinions?

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
I hear ya. I've been jumping in with both feet since I was but a wee lad. :D

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Are you going to show us pictures of your screw up?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I am the same way. I have had tons of training and been camping and adventuring since I was a kid. When I had my Jeep, and when I get my new one I will go out alone. I just do one thing a llittle different. I always let someone know the "general" location of where I plan on going.

·
Vendor
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Are you going to show us pictures of your screw up?
Another advantage of going alone is that no one takes photos of your screwups.

The new axles on my WJ cost 500 bucks though.

---

But the biggest, dumbest thing I've ever done had no bad consequences. Just the potential. Back when I was self employed, I owned a Samurai. Nothing fancy or built. I went for a drive on a Tuesday, and without really planning it, I ended up on top of this mountain (Webster pass). I had just sort of kept going beyond what I had planned. At some point I realized that it was early in the week, late in the season, no one knew where I was, and I was wearing shorts and floppy sandals with no warm clothes or food. I think that might be the only time where I went "what the hell am I doing up here?"

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm laughing at the no pictures thing, not the $500.:(

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Well Geoff, you're a popular type guy, if you went missing, people would look for you.... If I went missing, people would rejoice...... :rofl:

·
Vendor
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, and I once got lost in the Oregon Coast range. Didn't come back until a day late. My mom was not happy. But this was before cell phones, and she had three adventurous boys.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
As I mentioned in another post, we have wheeled extensively by ourselves. Way before cell phones or the BLM. Miller Canyon before Lake Silverwood was built, Big Bear, Holcome Valley, Luna Mountain, The New York Mountains, The Sierras, and a lot more. Often with not much more than formula for the baby :redface: Now days, the Jeep has lots of water and food, GPS, maps, phone, and stuff. As they say, prepare for the worst, it will be that or better, have fun :wavey:

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I frequently off-road alone, but I am mainly on trails that I am familiar with and I thoroughly understand the capability of my Jeep and how far to push it. I also have a winch and come-a-long if need be, but honestly - if I don't think I could make it, I won't try it alone. If I'm with a group, I'll definitely push the limits of my Jeep and really, that's about the only time I get stuck - when I'm with a group :D.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I hear ya. I've been jumping in with both feet since I was but a wee lad. :D
And then there is the 98th jump and you end up with a metal plate and 16 screws in one of those feet.

But at least I know when a storm is approaching.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
And then there is the 98th jump and you end up with a metal plate and 16 screws in one of those feet.

But at least I know when a storm is approaching.
Hahaha........I know ALL ABOUT retained hardware!! :D

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Last time I went alone, I sat in a mud hole for an hour and a half until someone got to me. turns out my dad brought my moms suburban to pull me out. kind of embarassing. So no I take someone with me to push or pull or die along with me ;)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I have gone solo many times, on my dirt bike and in my Jeep. People tell me I am stupid but I think I am adventurous and not afraid of the great outdoors. I do not take on some really serious challenges of course but once in a while I do have to say to myself, that was dumb.

·
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12
10,296 Posts
im in the stupid catorgry, i go it alone way to often.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Thats me and you have to know the meaning of Self-sufficient-

I don't wheel with groups or clubs, I did when I was joung, was even president of two clubs over a 10 year period-

Too many Rambos and "Bear Grylls"

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
I class as stupid. I've been many times alone. Then again I've lived in this area for 25 years and I know my way around pretty well. I've got my caution levels though.

I got stuck teetering a dry mud hole before and spent an hour finding rocks (pebbles since rocks were scarce there) to put under my tires so enough could grip. My floor mats were the best for needed traction... crazy, but they worked.

So sure, been wheeling alone... will continue to wheel alone ever so often and I'm man enough to accept the issues that can follow.99% of the time I tell one person I'm offroading though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts