Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that i've got her running strong, i am looking to upgrade the power. It's a 4 cyl but i know there are some ways to pull some power outta them. anybody done any bolt ons? are there very many available for these trucks?

basically the motor and drive train are stock except for the intake filter (no biggy). all the mods were in the suspension....

:confused:

oh and i cut off the muffler and the pipe behind it. it was a dynomax or whatever Advance Auto's mufflers are. sounds a lot better and the very back hanger was busted and was BANGING everytime the truck moved....so that's gone too....wheew

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
i've had 4 cyl jeeps and i can say, don't waste your money. no matter what money you spend, that motor will never satisfy you taking off from a stop light. and the stupid k&n and the like filter kits are not that good for jeeps anyways. and every aftermarket exhaust i've ever heard sounds terrible for the few horsepower it provides.

some people say they did notice a more responsive feel with the 4.0 throttle body conversion. throttle spacers are paper weights.

if you have bigger tires regearing will be the best bang for your buck, even then its not night and day with that motor. its a great motor, and it will last forever, but it will never be impressive.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh i'm not looking for a drag truck. i've got my track car. i'm just looking for some cheap low end power that's more than stock that's all. and i agree w/ the gearing and tires; with the 33's on i can only imagine, but i probly gained some MPG's :D

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
whatever mpg's you gained you lost trying to get to speed :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not speed......low low low end power (also known as torque)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol i guess there really arent that many bolt ons......

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lmao

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
There is a lot of bolt on after market stuff but even if they do give you more T/HP you won't notice it. Better off spending the money on other mods for off roading. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
like a snorkel??? nobody will do a write up! wtf!

·
Registered
486 Posts
4.0 tb,electric fan. You will lose MPG with the TB,but gain a slight more low end torque. Electric fan is about the only thing I really noticed,and a high flow cat./larger exhaust.
Honestly just save your money and swap in a V8.
nothing wrong with a 2.5 offroad,they are just annoying on road.

·
Registered
538 Posts
i had posted a thread about free mods for 4cyl. it was to remove restrictor from airbox. then the biggest bang for the buck was removed cat and install straight pipe into a thrush muffler and add a 4.0 throttle body.
while i didnt check my before times i checked with a gtech afterwards and it says my 0-60 is about 12 seconds. doing research i googled and saw stock 0-60 was around 15-17 cant remember but whatever i chopped my 0-60 by about 3 seconds. Thats a huge performance gain. 3 seconds 0-60 is like 20 car lengths.
also in real world driving i can cruise on highway with everybody else, last i went for a ride i pegged speedo so no more right lane only. i can pass cars. next i want to try a supercharger from a thunderbird 3.8 i have laying around (not the car, just the charger). my only fear is the tuning. will map sensor see positive pressure and adjust fuel and timing? i can always just mess with pulley sizes and run low boost to see how it runs, probably start off at around 2 psi.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree above - my 4 banger- 4.O throttle body ( not sure what year yours is??), air intake, cat -out, electric fan, hotter coil w/ standard cheap plugs( don't ask why but the repsonse was better than plat +4's), not engine related -but gearing with the 33's will make have much better low end take-off. Your RPM's will jump and it will sound like it's screaming on the highway at 65mph pulling at 3800 to 4000 RPM's. But for normal around the town and trail will definitely be appreciated 4:56 or 4:88. Hope that helps - good luck.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
i had posted a thread about free mods for 4cyl. it was to remove restrictor from airbox. then the biggest bang for the buck was removed cat and install straight pipe into a thrush muffler and add a 4.0 throttle body.
while i didnt check my before times i checked with a gtech afterwards and it says my 0-60 is about 12 seconds. doing research i googled and saw stock 0-60 was around 15-17 cant remember but whatever i chopped my 0-60 by about 3 seconds. Thats a huge performance gain. 3 seconds 0-60 is like 20 car lengths.
also in real world driving i can cruise on highway with everybody else, last i went for a ride i pegged speedo so no more right lane only. i can pass cars. next i want to try a supercharger from a thunderbird 3.8 i have laying around (not the car, just the charger). my only fear is the tuning. will map sensor see positive pressure and adjust fuel and timing? i can always just mess with pulley sizes and run low boost to see how it runs, probably start off at around 2 psi.
i'm sure you noticed some difference, but remember removing the cat is illegal, and i can't even imagine how that thing sounds with no cat and a thrush muffler. and not all that was free, and now adapting a supercharger? i do think that would be cool, but its a ton of effort. and even the mods you're speaking of aren't cheap if someone doesn't have the ability to resource and modify these things themselves.

·
after birthday glow
1,963 Posts
although i think that if ur going through the trouble to put a super charger on then u might as well stuff a v8 in but what ever floats ur boat i guess

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
The best time to do your research is BEFORE you buy a 4banger. I had a 95 yj (2.5) and it met my needs as a daily driver and trail rig. However, I knew before I bought it that it was going to be a dog on the highway. That was not what was important to me. The bimmer is the highway vehicle, the jeep was for hunting and fishing and messing around offroad!

·
Vendor
5,527 Posts
:hijacked:
Would a super or turbo charger help at all in off road situations? Seems like they would be counterproductive for low speed high torque applications.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i mean there has got to be 2 ft of free engine space between the crank pulley and the fan.....there's plenty of room for a decent size V8. btw i do have an electric fan. are there any popular donor cars for v8's??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts