Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided on the Gobi rack with the Ranger bar. Has anyone bought one of these recently? I'm not looking to wait 4-6 weeks for something I need to transport my kayak. Hoping someone will have some insight into a vendor with stock. Thanks.

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a stealth not ranger, but they are all made to order is what I was told. Took about 6 weeks to get mine. If you order from EAD Offroad they will do their best to get it to you as quickly as possible, but it still depends on Gobi. However, they will talk directly with Gobi and give you an estimated delivery date. Tell them the latest you can accept and they will let you know if it's feasible. Great rack by the way!

·
Registered
65 Posts
EAD off road said Gobi are up to 8 weeks to get them done now because of high demand. I'm on Week 8 now.:whistling:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...maybe I can learn to weld and make my own for $1600 and 8 weeks. I kid, I kid. But it does have me thinking about welding classes now. Thanks for the help folks. Sounds like Kayak season will be over before I get mine.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
That rack is overkill if you just need something to haul your kayak. It is pretty cool looking though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That rack is overkill if you just need something to haul your kayak. It is pretty cool looking though.
ehhhh, sorta. The other options involve invasive mounting or sketchy things like gutter mounts. I've done my research and don't like the alternatives. I also would like to be able to transport it without having to take the top off and strap it to the roll bars. I want it for other things also or I wouldn't spend enough money to buy a pair of honda civics on a bunch of bars to hold up a $300 kayak :/

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Well you could use something like this until your Gobi comes in so you don't miss out on paddling.

Attwood Kayak Car Top Carrier, Gray: Fishing : Walmart.com

I have a soft top Jeep so I have my own hauling issues but I bought this kit for the cam straps and tie downs and they work well. I would think the foam would work well if you have a second pair of hands to help you hoist the yak up on top of the Jeep.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well you could use something like this until your Gobi comes in so you don't miss out on paddling.

Attwood Kayak Car Top Carrier, Gray: Fishing : Walmart.com

I have a soft top Jeep so I have my own hauling issues but I bought this kit for the cam straps and tie downs and they work well. I would think the foam would work well if you have a second pair of hands to help you hoist the yak up on top of the Jeep.
haha that's almost the exact way I'd thought of working around it. :beerdrinking: I haul the yak on my civic with ratchet straps and no foam just because it's a play car with terrible paint. The foam would be a great idea for the top of the jeep as long as it doesn't slide. I did think I might have a problem with my seals on the freedom panels though if I came in between them like I do on the civic and like the walmart picture. I don't know if putting ratcheted pressure on the panels that way would be okay or not. you know what I mean?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Don't use ratchet straps! You can get way too much torque out of them and could definitely damage the top and/or kayak. The kit comes with cam straps which are a lot better. You can pull them tight but can't crank down on them like ratchet straps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts