Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 7 years of faithful service, I am at the point where my Gobi Stealth rack needs to find its next home. I originally installed the rack in Oct, 2012, and it has been a rock solid work horse. In addition to the standard features, my rack has the following add-ons:

- Sun Roof insert
- Quick release kit
- Adjustable crossbar
- ARB awning mounts (new, never mounted)

The rack with all of these add-ons is $2,000 new from Gobi (with a 16 week wait and shipping charges.) This is a pretty screaming deal on this whole kit. Per the Gobi folks, this rack will fit '07-'18 JK Unlimited (4 door) model wranglers. It will not fit the JL model (or, of course, the TJ/YJ, etc.) Asking price is $800.

As of today, the rack is still mounted on my Jeep, but I'll be de-installing it sometime this week or weekend. Photo is from the original date of install. I can take or furnish more pictures as needed. Looking for a local sale. Just too much of a pain to try to box/ship this rack.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Since I’m on the other side of the country it doesn’t really apply to me, but you should probably list the price you are asking

·
Registered
970 Posts
I may be interested, I'm right down the peninsula in Sunnyvale. Could you post some photos of its current condition? Any rust? Is the sunroof insert removable, to allow removal of the freedom panels when I don't need the extra storage space? Ladder included? What light mounting points does it have? Can it be disassembled to the point of fitting inside a JKU with the rear seats folded down, or would I need a truck bed or to install it on the spot?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may be interested, I'm right down the peninsula in Sunnyvale. Could you post some photos of its current condition? Any rust? Is the sunroof insert removable, to allow removal of the freedom panels when I don't need the extra storage space? Ladder included? What light mounting points does it have? Can it be disassembled to the point of fitting inside a JKU with the rear seats folded down, or would I need a truck bed or to install it on the spot?
Rubi, thanks for the inquiry. I'll get some photos for you a bit later today. There are some small rust spots due to some hard edged loads scratching the powder coat, but cosmetic in nature. The sunroof insert is removable, though be aware that it bolts on, so freedom top removal will not be quick that way. I would opt to just tilt the rack back (since it has the quick disco setup in the front), it would be faster. :) Yes, ladder is included. I'll get a pic and measurements of the light mounting set up on the top of the windshield support.

I don't think you want to break it down far enough to get it into the back of your JKU. I would go with option #2 or #3 (and #3 is an option.)

Pics later!

Rich

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thanks. One other thing I've found after looking into these racks a bit more is that there are some wear protection parts that get stuck to the Jeep during install, rubber and aluminum gaskets/shims. I've read reports of these pieces not being easy to remove and reuse. Gobi does sell a "wear kit" with all of these items, but it seems their terrible lead times apply even to these simple parts, taking over a month to get. Doesn't look like any other online shops have the kit in stock. So not sure I'd be able to install right away unless I could improvise replacements for these parts (maybe doable for the rubber gaskets but not sure on other parts), and I don't have a convenient place to store it for a month plus to wait for parts to come in.

https://www.gobiracks.com/product/jeep-jku-rack-transfer-kit-06-13-light-bar/

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll call Gobi today to ask about the "wear" parts to see if there is any chance to get them sooner. I'll also ask about a hardware kit since you can see from the pictures below, that the original Gobi hardware is obviously either not stainless, or it's a low-grade stainless.....

Here are a few pics:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thanks for the photos. A bit hard to tell, but looks like in addition to the wear spots on the frame, there might also be rust along the flat platform part? I can see a bit in the 2nd photo, and the first one can't tell if a large swath of the platform part across the middle has some rust along the edges, or if it's just an artifact of the fine detail in the image. If it's just those few spots on the frame I could touch it up pretty easily, but if all that detailed stuff on the platform is rusting would be harder to clean up unless I could just spray all over it. Sorry for all the questions, I know the thing is 7 years old, but don't want to potentially show up and find it looks a lot worse in person than I thought.

And I also called Gobi yesterday, went to voicemail and haven't heard back, seems par for the course with those guys unfortunately. Though I think I could store it for a while if I can take the 4 corners off and just have to deal with the large flat platform that I could lean up against a wall somewhere.

Aside from those things, I just made another post on the general forum to get some opinions on other factors I'm thinking about on whether or not I'd want to go for this, so I've got a bit of mulling to do.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the photos. A bit hard to tell, but looks like in addition to the wear spots on the frame, there might also be rust along the flat platform part? I can see a bit in the 2nd photo, and the first one can't tell if a large swath of the platform part across the middle has some rust along the edges, or if it's just an artifact of the fine detail in the image. If it's just those few spots on the frame I could touch it up pretty easily, but if all that detailed stuff on the platform is rusting would be harder to clean up unless I could just spray all over it. Sorry for all the questions, I know the thing is 7 years old, but don't want to potentially show up and find it looks a lot worse in person than I thought.

And I also called Gobi yesterday, went to voicemail and haven't heard back, seems par for the course with those guys unfortunately. Though I think I could store it for a while if I can take the 4 corners off and just have to deal with the large flat platform that I could lean up against a wall somewhere.

Aside from those things, I just made another post on the general forum to get some opinions on other factors I'm thinking about on whether or not I'd want to go for this, so I've got a bit of mulling to do.
I'll get some better pictures for you. It's really in great shape, just rust in those areas where the powder coat was chipped by a load somewhere along the way.

....and, yes, par for the course for Gobi. I have not heard back from them yet either. Guess they have enough business that they don't need to respond to customer inquiries. :confused:

R

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, all. I took a bunch more pictures today and put them in a Flickr album:

GOBI STEALTH RACK PICS

If there are any other specific pictures that you want, just let me know.

The coating on the rack is really in pretty great shape after quite a bit of use over the years. Most of the damage on the top bars came from getting my RTT on/off, and causing some chips in the powder coat. It's not perfect, but it's far from a rusty bucket for sure! :)

Cheers,
Rich

1 - 12 of 12 Posts