Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hesitant to start a build thread since I don't personally see this as a very exciting build, but it's our build. Just looking to find a place to keep the pictures of our progress.
I have been into motorcycles my whole life and it finally reached the point where I work so much that it wouldn't be fair to spend my only time off work alone on a motorcycle while my wife and daughter were home alone. As a compromise my wife wanted out of her Cherokee and I wanted something we could do as a family hobby. The idea of a side by side was perfect but we would spend most of my time at home transporting it to and from the trails and cleaning it. To solve this problem we started looking at street legal toys where the adventure involved the drive as much as the exploring. One thing led to another and here we are with our new Wrangler.

So the basics, 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S with 3.73's and hardtop. We will be building towards an overloading goal, for family adventures and so my wife and daughter can take girls trips to the beach and have everything they need to camp in the Jeep. The girls are both huge Star Wars fans, hence the name and decals.

First things first, on my way home from the dealership I stopped and bought some black "Cold Weather Package" wheels and tires. Silver on Gobi never did seem right to us.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After adding the new wheels and tires came a set of 1.5" SpyderTrax spacers that I found down in West Palm Beach and some NFab nerf bars from Melbourne.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before we started building we wanted to see what a baseline Wrangler could do so we took it out to Tray Mountain, Coopers Creek and Charlie's Creek in North Georgia to do some exploring and find a creek for the girls to play in.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can't tell I love using other peoples trash to build our treasure. There are so many Jeeps in the southeast that finding a great deal on practically new parts is a breeze. Picked up a set of Sahara fenders in Chattanooga because the wife said she loved Gobi so much she wanted there to be more of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now on to the gooder stuff. I wanted just a little more height and a little more tire while still retaining decent road manners since this is my wife's primary vehicle and overlanding is as much the journey there as it is the obstacles you find. With these things in mind I decided to go with the Metal Cloak True Dual 2.5" lift with Fox shocks paired with a set of 285/75R17 LRC Nitto RidgeGrapplers.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gave the lift a shake down run and were very pleased with how everything performed on it's maiden voyage. Didn't really feel like we got to test these dual rate springs out on this set of FS roads, but there's always next weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last update for tonight. Since we have realized none of our friends are ever available at the same time for adventures that we need to be slightly more self sufficient so in 6-9 weeks we will have a set of Expedition One Trail Series front and rear bumpers to bolt a new winch to. Now to wait and see what winch I'll end up going with. Practical me says get the Smittybilt X20C 10,000# but spare no expense on quality me says to wait and see if the Zeon's have a Black Friday sale. Feedback and opinions are welcome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Coming along nicely:thumb: Love the name you chose!

-Steven

Reactions: IRideNekkid

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very nice build. I also got into my Jeep because I work a lot and didn't think it was fair for me to spend my time away with my hobbies while my wife and son are at home. Now we do everything together in the Jeep. I do miss my dirt bike Sundays, but once my son is old enough we can get mama a side by side and all do that together =]

Welcome to the club and look forward to seeing your build progress.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm hesitant to start a build thread since I don't personally see this as a very exciting build... The girls are both huge Star Wars fans, hence the name and decals...
Exciting build or not, the clever name earns you some points.

...we will have a set of Expedition One Trail Series front and rear bumpers to bolt a new winch to. Now to wait and see what winch I'll end up going with. Practical me says get the Smittybilt X20C 10,000# but spare no expense on quality me says to wait and see if the Zeon's have a Black Friday sale. Feedback and opinions are welcome.
Good choice in bumpers and I'll let you guess what is my winch preference.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice build. I also got into my Jeep because I work a lot and didn't think it was fair for me to spend my time away with my hobbies while my wife and son are at home. Now we do everything together in the Jeep. I do miss my dirt bike Sundays, but once my son is old enough we can get mama a side by side and all do that together =]

Welcome to the club and look forward to seeing your build progress.
Thats basically it. My daughter is 4 now and she loves motorcycles and ATV's so maybe when she is older we can add some dirt bikes or atv's to the stable and go explore the woods that way also. For now the Wrangler is the perfect solution for a family of three.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not the most exciting modifications i’ve ever done but these seemed to be necessary modifications. Once the lift was added the wife saw the value of the A Pillar grab bars. Before we ever left the dealership I knew the reclined backseat mod was needed. Lastly when I picked up the Jeep I knew the whole hanging brake line thing didn’t seem right so once I saw DallasRecon do the Teraflex straps I knew what it was missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took the new suspension and tires for another shake down run today. Really liking what this thing can do now.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Curious, with the 285/75-17's how do you fell about the 3.73's? If you add Bumpers and winch, do you think you would need 4.10's or 4.56's?
I have almost the same build and I am stuck on upgrading to 4.10 or 4.56, I am currently living with 3.21's, sluggish for sure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Curious, with the 285/75-17's how do you fell about the 3.73's? If you add Bumpers and winch, do you think you would need 4.10's or 4.56's?
I have almost the same build and I am stuck on upgrading to 4.10 or 4.56, I am currently living with 3.21's, sluggish for sure.
I’ll addrss the 3.21 part first. We test drove a JKU with 3.21’s for about 2-3 miles. I took it back. Shook the salesman’s hand and told my wife there was no reason for her to take it for a spin. You are a trooper.

With that being said the 3.73’s were perfect with the 31’s we upgraded to originally and they certainly do fine now for our most level area. It is a noticeable loss once we hit the hills and get on really steep inclines. All things considered I certainly wouldn’t mind switching to 4.10’s one day but don’t feel they are necessary at this point for us. I never intend to go over the 34” size so I really don’t ever see us going to a 4.56 or anything larger. I definitely see why the Rubicon comes with the 4.10 now that we have a 33.5” tire on here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ll addrss the 3.21 part first. We test drove a JKU with 3.21’s for about 2-3 miles. I took it back. Shook the salesman’s hand and told my wife there was no reason for her to take it for a spin. You are a trooper.

With that being said the 3.73’s were perfect with the 31’s we upgraded to originally and they certainly do fine now for our most level area. It is a noticeable loss once we hit the hills and get on really steep inclines. All things considered I certainly wouldn’t mind switching to 4.10’s one day but don’t feel they are necessary at this point for us. I never intend to go over the 34” size so I really don’t ever see us going to a 4.56 or anything larger. I definitely see why the Rubicon comes with the 4.10 now that we have a 33.5” tire on here.
Thanks for the info, I think you and I are of the same mindset. I live in southeast Texas, so pretty much flat and close to sea level for me. I think I am going to stick with 4.10 concept fro now. maybe 4.56 if I decide to go 35" with a 3" later in life.

Needs some flat fenders and bumpers, but it's getting there.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info, I think you and I are of the same mindset. I live in southeast Texas, so pretty much flat and close to sea level for me. I think I am going to stick with 4.10 concept fro now. maybe 4.56 if I decide to go 35" with a 3" later in life.

Needs some flat fenders and bumpers, but it's getting there.
Southeast like The Woodlands or southeast like Corpus Christi or McAllen?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts