Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be going trial riding for the first time next weekend and looking for advice on what I need to do before the trip. I've got a 2017 jku with a rubicon express 2.5" spring lift, and 285/65/18 copper stt pros. I'll be adding a winch this week, but curious what else I should do in advanced. Do I need extended brake lines or relocation brackets, disconnects, anything the RE kit may not have included?

I'm kinda nervous I don't want to tear anything up as this is my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Damn! Are you planning on doing some advanced trails or something? What you're describing already seems like overkill for the beginner trails at places like Rausch Creek.

What you really need is some instruction on how to navigate the ruts and rocks and stuff so you're not slamming stuff into your diffs and oil pan and stuff. Those skills will be needed no matter how capable your rig is. I hit way less stuff on my second outing than I did on my first after having the trail guides explain how to tackle rocks and what not. Hint... don't try to straddle anything you don't have to. Put a wheel on it. :)

The only thing I recommending adding right off the bat is some armour for your evap can. Even that might be overkill though since there's been a stock thin metal box around it from the factory for the past few years, which yours will have. I was just told those get smashed often enough to be worth protecting rather than having to replace it.

Diff covers are always good, especially as a noob where you're more likely to accidentally abuse them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah won't be doing anything crazy. Mostly beginner trials. Just wanted to make sure I don't need anything crazy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've seen YouTube videos with stock Rubicons do things you wouldn't believe could be done with experienced drivers. The key word here is, "Experience", not dollars spend.

trainman

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Nah won't be doing anything crazy. Mostly beginner trials. Just wanted to make sure I don't need anything crazy.
If that's the case, you've already got more than you need.

Actually... now that I think of it... add some proper rock sliders. With your lift and tires you probably won't need them but mine have definitely already paid for themselves. I've got some good sized gouges in them indicating they've done their job.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
So I'll be going trial riding for the first time next weekend and looking for advice on what I need to do before the trip. I've got a 2017 jku with a rubicon express 2.5" spring lift, and 285/65/18 copper stt pros. I'll be adding a winch this week, but curious what else I should do in advanced. Do I need extended brake lines or relocation brackets, disconnects, anything the RE kit may not have included?

I'm kinda nervous I don't want to tear anything up as this is my daily driver.
Check this thread for what people typically carry with them in their rigs. You should have some, if not all, of the items mentioned with you when you are off road.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
First relax and have a good time. It will be hard, we all been through this and it can be nerve racking. Don't know the level of the trail you are going on but either way, hope those who are leading the run will provide instruction and "take care of you" to ensure you have a good time and want to return.

That aside...

Tire deflator(s)
Tire Pump-recommend a Viair 400p for stock tires and ARB twin for 35's and above. Of course air tank is an option
Tire repair Kit
First aid kit
CB radio
Basic handtools- if you don't have a Rubicon, you will want to disconnect your sway bar, so tools for that and an old blanket or tarp to lay on.
Flash light. Found headlamps work best as your hands are free and you have light.
Tow strap

Don't go thinking you need everything. These basics will get you through your first couple of runs. Do take note on what others are carrying and how they are carrying it, that is storing it. What you will find is that people take what they've experienced to need on the trail. We had one guy that carried spare axles. Got me.

Take more food and water than you think you need as you never know how long you will be out there.

OH ASK QUESTIONS...

What is that?
Why do you carry that?
What mods? Why?

And one last thing, if you got somewhere else to be, DON'T GO WHEELING! There is always that one person that asks, "How long we going to be? I have plans tonight". Do not be THAT guy. LOL

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
A good set of rock rails, some front sway bar disconnects and an engine/tranny skid plate. Disconnects will let your suspension articulate over obstacles and keep the tires on the ground so you can maintain traction, the rock rails I think are a must and the skids for peace of mind. Some tire deflators and a GOOD tire pump would be key as well.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You don't need to add more equipment to your jeep for your first offroading trip, just bring the stuff listed in DaK's post and have fun.

However, DaK did omit one item that everyone should carry in their rig - a roll of toilet paper in a ziplock bag.

Reactions: shiftless06 and DaK

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
People don't seem to realize how capable the Jeep is in stock form straight out of the factory.
For the beginner stuff you don't even have to air down or anything like that.
Just go and have fun. And listen to your instinct... don't do anything you are not comfortable with.

I was doing stuff like this, first time out, in my Sahara with nothing more than a 2.5 AEV lift and 34" tires left at 30 PSI. And wife and kids tagging along. lol And the white jeep (my buddy) was stock Rubicon suspension.
Nothing too crazy, but fun for me.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Nothing more than a 2.5" lift and 34" tires?? LOL!! You realize that makes a huge difference when going over mildly rocky terrain like that right?

I'm probably lower than stock due to weight with stock tires and have done stuff that looks like your picture. My rock rails and the stock gas tank skid have taken a bit of abuse, but she's gone through like a champ.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Nothing more than a 2.5" lift and 34" tires?? LOL!! You realize that makes a huge difference when going over mildly rocky terrain like that right?

I'm probably lower than stock due to weight with stock tires and have done stuff that looks like your picture. My rock rails and the stock gas tank skid have taken a bit of abuse, but she's gone through like a champ.
lol, that may have been not worded exactly right but I meant it as I have basically the same setup as the OP. :)
And as I mentioned, the Rubi in front of me did the exact same stuff with no problem.
So my point is the OP is golden for what he's doing. Already has more than he needs. Except some little extras that are good to take along like dak mentioned above.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
People don't seem to realize how capable the Jeep is in stock form straight out of the factory.
For the beginner stuff you don't even have to air down or anything like that.
Just go and have fun. And listen to your instinct... don't do anything you are not comfortable with.

I was doing stuff like this, first time out, in my Sahara with nothing more than a 2.5 AEV lift and 34" tires left at 30 PSI. And wife and kids tagging along. lol And the white jeep (my buddy) was stock Rubicon suspension.
Nothing too crazy, but fun for me.

I agree with almost everything. You beat the crap out of yourself if you don't air down some. Maybe don't drop it to 10 psi but from 30 to 15 psi makes a big difference with all those square edged bumps and rocks. Much more enjoyable and an increase of tire grip as an added benefit.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yeah. Doing a bunch of the green trails at Rausch Creek, I aired down to 17 psi or so on the stock tires and it was definitely worth it.

As a bonus there, they've got air hoses to re-inflate before you leave. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update.

Jeep did awesome today. Only got stuck 2 times, both in places every jku got hung up. Overall very happy with my rubicon express 2.5 with rancho 5000x. Didn't even disconnect. Can't wait for my second trip (hopefully on 35s) lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Update.

Jeep did awesome today. Only got stuck 2 times, both in places every jku got hung up. Overall very happy with my rubicon express 2.5 with rancho 5000x. Didn't even disconnect. Can't wait for my second trip (hopefully on 35s) lol.
And the pics?

It's a crapload of fun isn't it and amazing what your Jeep can do!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts