Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an 8.8 axle for sale and I'm going to check it out this weekend. What kind of questions should I be asking? Any pointers?

So far I'm going to look for the Data-Plate to confirm that the claimed gearing is actually installed. But what else should I keep a heads-up for? Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
As stated make sure its 31 spline axle not a ranger 27 spline version. pull the cover check the gears. Make sure the axle shafts spin freely. The pinion gear should also have the ratio stamped on it. There also might be a 2nd very thin ring gear like thing next to the ring gear, this is the abs tone ring and its normal for it to be there.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What it came out of, preferably a 94-01 explorer
How can I confirm this if its just the axle assembly by itself and the seller doesn't know?

As stated make sure its 31 spline axle not a ranger 27 spline version. pull the cover check the gears. Make sure the axle shafts spin freely. The pinion gear should also have the ratio stamped on it. There also might be a 2nd very thin ring gear like thing next to the ring gear, this is the abs tone ring and its normal for it to be there.
How do I check for the 31 spline? Also where would the data tag be on the axle assembly?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The 31 spline Explorer axles have a 3.25" tube. I'm pretty sure the ranger axles have a smaller tube, I'm thinking they are 2.75", but I'm not 100% sure.

It should have 2 tags hanging off the cover bolts. One with the gear ratio, and one that says "Synthetic 75w140 only".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts