Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at an '89 a guy has for sale fairly close to me. I don't know many details other than that it's a 6cyl. with a M/T and the 4 wheel drive works. I've never owned a jeep or a 4 wheel drive vehicle and know very little about them. What are some good things to inspect on this ride before purchasing? Any tips and advice would be great! Thanks fellas -

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Rust, Rust, and Rust........ Take a good close look. While rust isn't typically a problem in California we seem to get quite a few rigs from back east. While I was looking for mine (6 month process) I found several with rotting winshields, fender wells, and frames.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright, the guy is only asking $2,500 but I have no idea how many miles are on it... maybe I'll post up some pics and details when I get emm.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
It will be a project Jeep. Be prepared for that. Anything that old, is going to need a lot of TLC. It all depends on what you want to do with it, as the sky is your only limit. They make great project Jeeps. The YJ platform is a very versitile one.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm going to look at an '89 a guy has for sale fairly close to me. I don't know many details other than that it's a 6cyl. with a M/T and the 4 wheel drive works. I've never owned a jeep or a 4 wheel drive vehicle and know very little about them. What are some good things to inspect on this ride before purchasing? Any tips and advice would be great! Thanks fellas -
Like ****** said, rust is probably going to be your biggest issue. Some surface rust is ok, but for $2500, it shouldn't be a rust bucket. Definitely crawl under her and give it a good look. Also look for leaks or wet spots around the diffs and axle seals. Look under the engine for any signs of an oil leak.

Check the oil in it. If it's filthy and black, then the oil probably wasn't changed regularly. See what the air filter looks like too. If these things are dirty, and the owner watches you check them, it might at the very least give you a point to knock some $$$ off the price.

I would also check the tranny, make sure it shifts smoothly. Check for any clutch slippage.

If you do purchase the Jeep, the first thing I would do is change all of the fluids and grease everything. Because you will never truly know when the last time this was actually done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably go look at it thursday and keep these things in mind. I'm not needing something to keep me constantly busy... as i have a race car im working on right now.. i guess i just need to see what kind of condition it's in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
check the floor boards under the drivers feet. these are notorious rust through spots on these. u may have to pul the carpet back to check. Its not that easy to replace cause of the heat from welding in a new 1 expands it and makes a popping spot 4ever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How is it set up? I have an 88 YJ that was a real "lowrider" as stock from the factory.

I had to spend for larger tires, wheels and a lift kit before it was ready for off road. But I LOVE it now.

I also went for a hardtop, to use it in the winter.

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts