Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here was a post I made on a different forum back in May 2014. I'm much more active over there for my other car but have been hanging out on this one a lot as well now.

For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted a Wrangler but always talked myself out of them in some way. Too bad on gas, not practical enough, too much money for what you get etc. But I'll be damned if I didn't drool at every one I've seen. I now work as purchased services for Chrysler and a buddy got me a full employee discount. I figure now is the perfect time especially since M3F is on a buying spree, I couldnt' miss out on the excitement. I drove quite a few different variations like 2 door vs 4, sport vs Sahara vs Rubicon, and finally made a choice.
I ordered the model I wanted and off it went to be built in Toledo.

Enough words, here's my new tank! 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X (JKURX)

As far as driving impressions go, it's no road car. This thing handles the monster potholes over here like nothing. The suspension is really fun and absorbent for normal driving. I've climbed a few random curbs, small dirt mounds, and dirt roads with nothing but a big smile on my face. It really is an experience and I can see why so many people love them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The yeep has been keeping me extremely busy over the last few weeks. I collected a ton of parts over the course of the black Friday sales and proceeded to install pieces one by one whenever I could. What a pain in the ass some things were but in the end it was very rewarding and everything came out right.

These aren't 'huge' mods like a lift, armor, and new tires but rather an accumulation of small mods all over that will make the car more livable and functional for me.

My phone has been having a weird issue with its camera so some of the photo quality really suffers in lower light scenarios. Everything turns purplish so I don't have as many photos as I would like.

New antenna

LED tail lights - I love the OEM+ look of these ones and the lights are actually much brighter for both braking and reverse which is really nice.

Tail light guards

New Maximus-3 tire carrier - It'll fit up to 37" tires and has mounts for everything. Very awesome products from these local guys.

Hi-lift Jack attached

JW Speaker LED headlights - These things throw so much light I love it. The stock headlights are pretty crappy and I live out near woods and dirt roads where deer / wildlife fly out all the time. New lights were a must. They also look very cool in my opinion.

JW Speaker LED Fogs - These look great and also fill in more light that the headlights miss nearby and to the sides.

Not really pictured but I also installed a Pioneer NEX8000. Really nice touch screen head unit with tons of functions and apps that I'll probably never use. Navi is just so nice to have.

Backup Camera resting right between the wheel spokes. I don't feel as nervous backing up anymore. Definitely a worthwhile piece.

Here's a few more shots with a bit more of the car. For some reason I don't have normal ones saved just crap I took on snapchat...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You've done some nice mods! I agree the hood is great as are the tail lights!! Nicely done!

Jeremy
Thank you very much. Will be sure to check your page out when the next round of modding happens.

How about a pic of the installed radio when you get a chance. I have the 130 in mine and am thinking about an upgrade.
That's what I had as well. I'll definitely try to get a photo. Hard part is remembering haha.

Nicely done!
Thanks for the kind words.

---

Some crappy weather is finally hitting Michigan. Had a pretty rough drive home a bit ago. These stock Rubi KM2 tires aren't very fun in slippery / icey conditions. Traction control definitely did its job but was forced to run a red light when I couldn't stop over a fairly large distance. Wasn't going too fast either but will have to adjust to driving even slower depending on conditions.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Which tails are those? Have a link?

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're the man. Thanks.

How the heck are those things $70 / pair? That seems like a steal!
Hmm interesting I definitely didn't pay that low of a price. The main price I'm seeing is $227.72 & FREE Shipping

^x2! I wonder if the quality is there though? A few of the reviews said their LED's can burn out pretty quick. Either way, I've never seen a price that good!
My only issue is there aren't enough reviews out there. People are more inclined to post reviews when they are mad / disappointed rather than happy. Would hope to see a larger pool of reviews eventually. If you can get them for that crazy $70 price, do it! I paid over $200

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about a pic of the installed radio when you get a chance. I have the 130 in mine and am thinking about an upgrade.
Sorry I forgot to do this earlier!

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks sweet. How are you liking it?
I like it a lot actually. The only few things I don't like is that my normal gloves don't work with it, which really isn't a big deal. I do know they sell smartphone friendly gloves which should work fine.

My other issue is that when you install a double DIN unit like this, you need to remove a metal bracket behind the radio to fit. Well, that bracket contains a small hole for the top dashboard screw (located under the tray) inside of it. Once removed, the dash board remains slightly loose along the top/right edge near the radio and I'm not quite sure how to fix this. It doesn't rattle or anything nor create a huge gap but it's not exactly perfect either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.