Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I think that I am finally ready, Jeep seems to be back in order, clunk in the rear end is finally gone.

Day Trip Saturday March 28th, 2015 to explorer Gold Butte.

Meetup at the Petro Station at the I-15 Speedway Exit. Let's try and get out of there no later than 8:00am, meet at 7:30-7:45am. It should be about an hour up the freeway to the trailhead and then probably 4-6 hours exploring. Plan on lunch on the trail. Bring plenty of water.

I have never been up there, but I have a couple of good maps printed out that should be helpful to find the loop.

Weather should be good!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I could be up for a day trip, I've never explored the Gold Butte area, sounds fun. Will we need extra fuel?

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could be up for a day trip, I've never explored the Gold Butte area, sounds fun. Will we need extra fuel?
Should be OK on fuel, worst case you can gas up when we exit the highway. Just guessing but it shouldnt be no more than about 150-200 miles roundtrip.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ray I think I'll be able to go on this one. No worries on anybody worried about fuel I carry 10 extra gallons. Ray even a little night run would be sweet just put some leds on my rig and would love to use them

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm in, I'll watch the thread for updates...

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the BLM Maps that I was able to find.

Hopefully they are accessible this way.

If you can open them, PM me your email address and I will forward them that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Bummer Ray I just realized that I'm on call at work this week and next weekend and that run puts me well out of my response time. I'll have to catch you on the next one

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
We should be able to make it. We might have to leave u guys early to get back for an engagement we have that evening.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here is a track for a Garmin GPS. It's for Gold Butte. Unless everyone has a modded rig, I would stay away from the tracks that lead to the lake, I understand it is rated at least a four on a 1 to 5 rating. Looks like I can't upload the tracks to this post, so PM me and I'll send them that way, if you want it that way.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a track for a Garmin GPS. It's for Gold Butte. Unless everyone has a modded rig, I would stay away from the tracks that lead to the lake, I understand it is rated at least a four on a 1 to 5 rating. Looks like I can't upload the tracks to this post, so PM me and I'll send them that way, if you want it that way.
This trip is an exploration trip to scope the area out. When viewing it on the internet it seems like it might be more of an overnight type area so that you can enjoy everything around the loop. I don't know how much exploring off the main loop we will be doing this trip.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
We did a DW trip up there to the Lake and went down via Scanlon Ferry Road. It's a 3 at best but the hill down is narrow and the climb was long. We camped at the Lake overnight.

You can do it as a day trip but you will have to limit stops and keep moving. Trails are marked and there was some turns.

Ray go to DW site and under the past tab look up Scanlon Ferry Road trip.

Or get a hold of Derrick Goern.

Lots if trails up there

·
Registered
461 Posts
Saturdays no longer work for me unfortunately. Hope you guys have fun, take pics! I would like to go explore that area sometime.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything is still on target for Saturday. Looks like the weather should be wonderful, Sunny and high 80's.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It looks like I'm still good for tomorrow. Please let me know as soon as possible today if everything is a go.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It looks like I'm still good for tomorrow. Please let me know as soon as possible today if everything is a go.
Still good on my end. I will pm you my cell number.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wish we could go and meet some of you but on a family vacation planned 6 months ago. We haven't been off the pavement for 3 weeks and suffering from withdrawals. In Hawaii and the whole family is wishing we had our JK with us, we are all junkies. Enjoy and be safe. Looking forward to the next trip.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ray, his FIL, and I had a good day yesterday. Gold Butte Rd is mostly paved wash board road, with about 50 miles of dirt wash board road and about 50 miles of trails. It is a great place to explore Lake Mead's backside. Lot's of folks camping in the area in their motor homes, fifth wheels and such and riding ATV's.

Notice the Cadillac in the background, that gives you an idea of the complexity of the off roading to that point, which is about 30 miles off the I15.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here are the coordinates of our lunch stop:

36.28011 latitude, -114.20004 longitude

1 - 20 of 21 Posts