Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey,
1st post here. Going to buy with the next few weeks. I've got a few things to hash out, maybe you can help point me in the right direction.

- Seem's the 3.73 axles are almost impossible to find. Based on reading the posts, I'll need this axle is I plan on doing any towing up to 3500lbs. Correct? ...and I'll be getting the 6 speed manual, of course...
- I'm probably going to install a nice double DIN aftermarket radio with nav and bluetooth later on, would getting one with the connectivity kit cause complications later on?
- Many dealers in my area have JKU's advertised 2.5-3.0% below invoice. Because these are merely advertised prices I obviously expect to take a little more off. I have the Tread Lightly membership just in case it could help. Should I expect it to help leverage down an already appealing price?
- Since the ideal mix of options don't exist, is it easiest just to order one?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I don't think the connectivity will cause problems later on. I just think it won't work later on with the aftermarket radio without modifications. The 3.73 isn't an axle, it's a gear ratio inside the differentials. The 3.73 can be harder to find in a 6speed but it is probably worth getting. If you are already looking to buy new, look to see what kind of deal you can get ordering one. Then you can get whatever you want. Or maybe they can find what you are looking for at another dealer and get that for you

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, noted. There is actually 1 Sport S available close enough to what I need. Out of over 300 new Jeeps within 150 miles, only one is available with 6 Speed and the "3.73 diff ratio" (thank you). This may be it.

Also, after looking at used pricing at nearby lots I had a brain meltdown. I don't understand how used '11 and '12 models can be listed for the same prices as new models.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hey, noted. There is actually 1 Sport S available close enough to what I need. Out of over 300 new Jeeps within 150 miles, only one is available with 6 Speed and the "3.73 diff ratio" (thank you). This may be it.

Also, after looking at used pricing at nearby lots I had a brain meltdown. I don't understand how used '11 and '12 models can be listed for the same prices as new models.
If you really want a brain meltdown walk in my shoes. While looking at used Jeeps I wanted to go back 25 years earlier in my younger daze! Then at the age of 25 I had a 4 year old 1983 which I bought for around $6,500.00.

What I found was they were asking up to $21,000.00 for a Jeep that was 29 years old! With that said it was a no brainer. Bought a brand new JK Sport for $24,115... DAH!

50 Something

·
Registered
74 Posts
Totally agree with 50 Something. I too checked out the used prices and then checked in to the new Wranglers. I just bought a '12 Sport for 22k plus taxes. 24k out the door. "Stripped down" if you could call it that. Have 700 miles on it and happier that I had even hoped. What a nice vehicle. My new toy that I will have for years.

50 something also...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I drove 300 miles to get my stripped 2012 jku sport. It was the closest one that I could find with the 3.73 gears and a 6 speed, and it just happened to be my first choice in color. (gecko!) An out the door price of 25,250 also left more $$$ for mods. In my opinion, the 3.73's are a must if you plan to tow or install larger tires, especially with the 6 speed.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Totally agree with 50 Something. I too checked out the used prices and then checked in to the new Wranglers. I just bought a '12 Sport for 22k plus taxes. 24k out the door. "Stripped down" if you could call it that. Have 700 miles on it and happier that I had even hoped. What a nice vehicle. My new toy that I will have for years.

50 something also...
Yeah, I know what you mean. 25 years later stripped is very equiped for me. I did get the hard top though, because they want around $2,500.00 for aftermarket, or Mopar OEM and I got it with the package for $850.00! Go Figure?

Then I got new shoes, wheels, bikini top, full soft top, tube doors ect... but had the cash to do so by getting a so called stripped version... LOL... You young folks got it all...:rofl:

Not to metion I got to pick and choose what I wanted after much research on my part, but it's the perfect way for me.

50 Something

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. 25 years later stripped is very equiped for me. I did get the hard top though, because they want around $2,500.00 for aftermarket, or Mopar OEM and I got it with the package for $850.00! Go Figure?

Then I got new shoes, wheels, bikini top, full soft top, tube doors ect... but had the cash to do so by getting a so called stripped version... LOL... You young folks got it all...:rofl:

Not to metion I got to pick and choose what I wanted after much research on my part, but it's the perfect way for me.

50 Something
Wow...I would have gotten the hard top if I could have gotten it for that. Good move. Yes, new shoes coming. Have the cash...just not sure which way to go. DuraTracs I think. Tell me 50, did you go with chrome wheels or black.

Ya...stripped down. Cracks me up. Even has a place to plug in my ipod!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you really want a brain meltdown walk in my shoes. While looking at used Jeeps I wanted to go back 25 years earlier in my younger daze! Then at the age of 25 I had a 4 year old 1983 which I bought for around $6,500.00.

What I found was they were asking up to $21,000.00 for a Jeep that was 29 years old! With that said it was a no brainer. Bought a brand new JK Sport for $24,115... DAH!

50 Something
Yeah it seems that what people consider collectible and what people are willing to pay is increasing rapidly. All the old cars on my childhood wishlist have exploded in value over the last 10-15 years.

I looked at a base level 2011 Wrangler JKU at a local used car dealer who was asking $26,900. No thanks. I expect to pay a small bit more for a new unregistered 2013 Sport S.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my quest to buy a Wrangler has stalled. The local dealer wouldn't agree on a trade price on my current ride I felt was fair. I'll try a different dealer, the Boston area has several who reign the region and also control the used car market, therefore would be willing to keep it to sell at top dollar opposed to wholesaling it out.

Wish me luck, I want a Wrangler now please...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Well my quest to buy a Wrangler has stalled. The local dealer wouldn't agree on a trade price on my current ride I felt was fair. I'll try a different dealer, the Boston area has several who reign the region and also control the used car market, therefore would be willing to keep it to sell at top dollar opposed to wholesaling it out.

Wish me luck, I want a Wrangler now please...
Good Luck!

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Hey,
1st post here. Going to buy with the next few weeks. I've got a few things to hash out, maybe you can help point me in the right direction.

- Seem's the 3.73 axles are almost impossible to find. Based on reading the posts, I'll need this axle is I plan on doing any towing up to 3500lbs. Correct? ...and I'll be getting the 6 speed manual, of course...
- I'm probably going to install a nice double DIN aftermarket radio with nav and bluetooth later on, would getting one with the connectivity kit cause complications later on?
Welcome!

3.73 gears are great. You,ll want them for towing, bigger tires, and for general performance around town. I love mine with the way it drives with auto and 3.73. I was going to go manual, but after renting a stick and driving around Ireland for two weeks remembered how much fun and work it is. I gave up and went auto and couldn't,t be happier.

Connectivity and Uconnect are both good options as you get the steering wheel controls, mic, and sat nav antenna. There are many good threads here on the subject. You may or may not want the upgraded radio in order to get the 8inch sub enclosure and 12v rear plug. I forgot about it and will need to find an alternative for a sub. Not the end of the world.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was going to go manual, but after renting a stick and driving around Ireland for two weeks remembered how much fun and work it is. I gave up and went auto and couldn't,t be happier.
Thanks, if your not used to driving on the wrong side of the road and shifting with your left that alone is a chore. Rental cars in Ireland and UK must have trashed transmissions since most Americans don't drive stick and many rentals there only come in stick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts