Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade the lights on our wrangler and looking at the xkglow 7" headlights. Honestly the color/halo isnt that important. I'd really like to know about brightness/lux of the head lights as well as beam patterns. Any input? TIA

·
Super Moderator
12,711 Posts
Can you contact the manufacturer for the information?
A lot of importers don't have that information or won't provide it because if a buyer had good info to compare, they wouldn't by the importer's lights.

As you know, headlights also have a beam pattern. Some are better than others. The beam pattern is at least as important as the amount of light that the lamp produces.

Rather than asking about any particular brand, I'd ask for general recommendations from other posters that have had good results with whatever brand of light they bought.
If you buy an inexpensive light and it doesn't meet your expectations, you've wasted your money.

We YJ owners have found that an E-Code Hella or Cibie H4 bulb headlight is the biggest bang for the buck. A set of H4s for a YJ is a little over a hundred dollars. The price probably holds true for round headlights too. There are DOT and E-Code H4 headlights available. The E-Code lights produce a better beam than the DOT headlights. If you go with E-Code H4s make sure to get lenses that are made for driving on the right side of the road. British E-Codes will blind oncoming traffic in the US.

Some posters may tell you that E-code headlights are illegal in the US. I don't know that they are actually illegal, but they aren't approved by the DOT. The fact that they aren't approved, doesn't necessarily mean they're illegal. I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for non-DOT approved headlights.

Once you make your choice and have them installed, let us know how whatever you choose works out for you.

Good luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Well, technically the DOT doesn't approve anything. What the DOT does is write standards that both the FVMSS and state DOT's use for safety regulations.

Some states will reject a vehicle for using non DOT equipment. Most, if not all police won't be able to tell the difference but if you have non DOT compliant equipment (like lights) and lets say your lights are not aimed correctly or still blind oncoming traffic if aimed correctly, it will be up to you to explain it to the judge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts