Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hey guys, I'm buying this 2001 Jeep Sahara, 95,000 miles
Looks pretty clean...
Even body pictures are clean, I'm buying without looking. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
$13k is overpriced for a 2001 model with that mileage. Should be able to find a newer TJ with comparable miles for $13k. I’d say $10k is a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Buying without looking is always pretty sketchy. Especially with a rust-prone jeep. This one does look pretty clean though. $13k seems overpriced though, I'd aim more for the 10 range.

·
Registered
13,574 Posts
Price kind of high and with 2000-2001 4.0 they have the crack prone head
Some sellers will change oil and sell after they notice coolant in oil

Read up about TUPY head to see what Jeep did to solve the cracking trend in the new 2000 4.0 head design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,574 Posts
Also did not see any pics of rear Diffy is it the Trudy-five or the D44

With vin you could check build sheet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's delivering to my house, what should I do during test drive and inspection

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Check oil for contamination, poke around with a screwdriver all around the frame, especially near the rear wheel wells. Lay underneath and look around for rust or leaky seals. Roll down windows, turn off music, and creep around listening and feeling. Take more pictures

·
Registered
29 Posts
How did it go? In the pnw, that isn't too bad a price. My only concern would be the possibility of a cracked head. Not sure how often that happens with the 2000-2001 models.

That dana 35 isn't the best, but not a show stopper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Meeting dealer Wednesday, how would I know if there is cracked head?

He's late because he said it needs an QC compressor and the check engine light was on, excuse being they pressure wash the engine and something could move....
They ran code and it has to do with something fuel pump or tank I forgot, they going to change that too. Should I be concerned that the PW the engine.... maybe because they wanna clean any evidence of leaks, but then again they driving 4 hours to get to me, perhaps oils will show then? Unless they stop and clean it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
4 hours from the Dalles? Where the heck are you?

I wouldn't worry too much about pressure washing the engine. Anything wet will dry out well before they get to you. And that engine was pressure washed for the pictures in the ad. I pressure wash my engine almost after every off road trip and I haven't had any issues. I actually pressure wash the whole jeep.

Valve cover gasket may leak, if it does, it is easy to replace, just time consuming.

Google tj cracked heads. There was a run of heads that tended to crack. Worst case you are replacing the head, not too bad a job, but again, time consuming. Depending on how bad the leak is, it may exhibit in smokey exhaust, milky oil or an empty radiator.

My guess is that it will show up on a trailer. If you buy it, they have to get home somehow, and they don't want to rack up miles on it. Drive it a good 30-45 minutes, let it get nice and warm. If you have a scanner, make sure all the readiness monitors are set. But then you probably don't have emissions to worry about.

Work all the gears, and if you can get on a dirt road, try the transfer case. But unless it has bee horribly abused, those should be fine. It does look pretty clean, so I doubt that is the case.

One thing to keep in mind, purchase price is just the cost of entry. You want to buy it for more than its poor gas mileage. Just keep that in mind, good mod aren't cheap, and cheap mods aren't good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts